Punkbuster Problem again.

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Der Hesse
Forum User

Punkbuster Problem again.

Post by [JiF]Der Hesse »

And there we go again....

I had massive Problems with Punkbuster in Battlefield 1942 when i bought my new win7 Laptop. I managed to get it to work with admin mode and some hints from the Internet to update Punkbuster A and B exe or something like that...dont remember exactly.
But now, some Months later i got the same Problems again. I didn´t change any settings since my last session.

I get the Message O/S EXCEPTION NOTICE.
It repeats 3 times per second for half a minute and then i get kicked.

Any ideas what i can do?
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Re: Punkbuster Problem again.

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

You know, the more I use Windows 7 the more I am convinced that Vista was just a clever trick to lower our expectations enough to think that Windows 7 is ready. I've had numerous small issues plague me since I started using Windows 7. Many of the games I own won't run or won't run correctly ...etc. I'm thinking of adding XP in a dual boot so I can play Forgotten Hope for more then 15 minutes at a time.

First - give admin rights to the game.

1. Right click on the BF1942 shortcut on desktop and click properties, so set your admin privileges to full control for bf1942 and make sure you have "run as administrator" checked.
2. Right click on the shortcut on the desktop and click open file location and then do the same admin privileges on the actual BF1942.exe
3. Last most important step, I think Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 somehow don't allow Punkbuster update under Windows 7 so you have to do it manually.
Go to this link and download PBSetup: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Install it and select your game and update Punkbuster through that program.

Second - now it's time to some give rights to Punkbuster.
1. Find PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe (in windows\system32 folder or if you are running x64 the windows\sysWOW64 folder) Set them to run as an administrator and set the compatibility mode to Windows98/me (right click on the file and choose properties.)

That's a summary of the advice I found while trying to get BF1942 to work. I still can't get some of the mods to work. Some of it may not be necessary. Funny thing is everything work great under Windows 7 RC1 beta. Go figure.

Good luck
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]DaftGeordie
Forum User

Post by [JiF]DaftGeordie »

I was being kicked constantly by PB when I installed Windows 7, I read somewhere that PB apparently thinks Win7 is some kind of hack and boots you.
Not sure how true this is but I got so frustrated I put XP back on and no problems since.
I know what a pain it is to format.....maybe you could partition your hard drive and run both systems???
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Hesse,

I used to get the O/S exception notice error on a Vista computer, it flashes up about 100 times accompanied by a noise and then Bang! you get kicked.

I never found out what the issue was but a reinstall helped or the old favourite of turning it off and on again.

the only long term solution is to follow Geordies advice and install an XP partition.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

I just set up BF42 on Windows 7 and it runs fine (except 1 thing)
I gave admin rights as Badger suggested and also used the "No CD" solution that Grimp recommended in another post.
One thing that I did which I think was the key was copy my game and pb directories from my old working XP setup to the new Win7 setup.
I used a utility called Beyond Compare to do this http://www.scootersoftware.com/

The one problem I have is that sometimes BF42 will hang on "Please Wait, Loading" when a map ends an another is going to start.
To work around this, I just re-join the server.
[JiF]Der Hesse
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Der Hesse »

@ Zouga: Jep, thats exactly the problem i got.

@all: Thx for the advice, ill try some of the Ideas. I hope one of them will work.
I think the Solution from badger was, what i did in the beginning and it worked until now.
Maybe there is a punkbusterupdate that i missed and that causes the problem.
Ill first try to update pb and then check the settings for Admin mode and Punkbuster a and b.
I hope it works.

Would be a shame if i couldnt fight you guys again. ^^
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

what sometimes work for me open taskmanage a.k.a ctrl-alt-delete

Find pnkbstrA.exe and pnkbstrB.exe and shut them down/kill them

This may work!
[JiF]Der Hesse
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Der Hesse »

Well....i dont know what the problem was, but now it works.
Seems, like this will remain one of the mysteries of Win7. ^^

Thx for all the help!

See you guys on the Battlefield. ;)