Graphics Card Choice for BC2

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Graphics Card Choice for BC2

Post by [JiF]Sly Gambit »

I have two cards. Both will 'work' with BFBC2 but I'm trying to figure out which would work better.

This:

GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

OR This:

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I had forgotten just how good my 'old' card was but still was kinda suprised that it is still capable of running BC2. I bought the Gigabyte card cheap to replace my 8800 in my old computer which is being converted to a HTPC and the Gigabyte runs silent. Anyway if there's nothing to gain from running that over my 8800 I'd obviously move the 8800 to my 'new' PC and sometime in the next year buy a gaming vid card. But if I can get a better FR with a higher graphic setting with the new card then I'll use that and the 8800 can stay in the HTPC.

I could also try to find a matched 8800 and run it in an SLI config but don't know if that would give me much. I assume if I can find a matched card that would be cheap as balls and give enough of a bump in performance that I could play BC2 for a while w/o losing any advantage against people who've gotten video cards built on this side of 2009. ;)
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Re: Graphics Card Choice for BC2

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

I believe the GeForce 8800GTS will be better due to it having a 256-bit memory interface. I checked the clock speeds on newegg and the 8800GTS is clocked faster/higher than the Radeon HD 4550. Other than that they are pretty similar, but you should expect better performance out of the GeForce.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Run them both in your system and find out!
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

I could test them for you... I could also test your monitor and maybe your car. Just say the word. ;)
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

Ok guys i have BFBC2 but i need to know a very cheap video card to buy that will run it. lol if yall can help me let me know i also have BF3 on preorder already i wanna start killing again xD

Thanks
Navy
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

[JiF]Navy_Seals wrote:Ok guys i have BFBC2 but i need to know a very cheap video card to buy that will run it. lol if yall can help me let me know i also have BF3 on preorder already i wanna start killing again xD

Thanks
Navy
If you bought the BF3 pre order then there's no reason to get a cheap card now and then have to buy a better card when BF3 comes out, would be a waste of moola. You should wait till the requirements come out for BF3 to gauge what to buy. But if you need one now I would recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I bought it and it runs BC2 good but I have a dual core (E8600 3.33) and the game is suppose to be made for a Quad core. So if you have a Quad then definitely go for it. And I'm pretty sure it would do for BF3 at probably med graphics at least.

The recommended card for BC2 is a GT260 with a Quad so anything above that really should be fine. But like I said you might as well get one that you know will work good with BF3 then you can be sure it would work great on both.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Here is a good card that's a little better on price.
I know that once a card get's over $150,it's hard to justify with my wife. :roll: :hah:

http://www.frys.com/product/6272920;jse ... IN_RSLT_PG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What price range are you looking for?
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Ok now the ATI Radeon was King at the beginning of the year(it was a DUAL card built in one) and was retailing for 700. Not realistic for most folks and myself. Now Nvidia has the 480 single cards for 300 and it's beating the 6990:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

So when I buy my system soon that's what I am getting(but it changes every month so check back on that site).
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

And if the wife thing doesn't come it to play, I run duel 6950's. Its a great card for some but not alot of $

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now