So why did I disappear for a week?

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

So why did I disappear for a week?

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

If you are at all squeemish please do not read this post or view the accompanying video.

Tuesday 5th of May 2010 was going to be one of those memorable days in my life as I lead my football team out for an end of season cup final. We were confident that we could beat the opposition and i had already had pictures in my mind of lifting the trophy at the end of the match so all the St. Andrews team & supporters could cheer our moment.
We started well passing the ball effectively and a number of chances came our way, but we failed to break the deadlock with that killer final finish. However with about 20 minutes gone the left back swung a high cross in to the far post. The opposition keeper unchallenged came to claim it, but misjudged the slight swirl in the wind, he failed to catch it cleanly and it bounced back off of him and slowly trickled over the line. 1 - 0 to St. Andrews :D
Oakridge Baptists galvanised themselves after this point and slowly dragged themselves back in to the game. With just 5 minutes until half time the St. A's keeper unsure whether a ball was a back pass or not failed to deal with a ball in the area. He was robbed of it by the O's centre forward, but he was heading away from goal. The keeper made a fateful lunge to try and grab the ball, but just clattered through the O's player, the whistle blew and the referee indicated a penalty. The O's converted so 1 - 1 :D

At half time St. A's regained their spirits and went back out renewed.
About 10 minutes in to the second half the O's played a long ball down the wing for their player to chase on to. The St. A's big strong swift centre back saw the danger and dashed across to cover his right back who was scamperring back to try and get with the O's winger. The St. A's centre back was the quickest and reached the ball moments before the oncoming O's winger who desparately lunged at the ball and .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-FmSSA1 ... re=related

Yes i had suffered a double compound fracture of both bones in my lower leg, it looked just like Eduardo's in the video. As I turned in the air I watched my left foot just flop to one side. I lay on the pitch with the bones sticking out of the back of my leg for 30 minutes until the ambulance arrived. Then to hospital to have an immediate opperation to put them back in to the right position.
2 days later I had a steel pin hammered down though the lower leg bone which then had 3 metal pins inserted to hold it in place.
2 days after that I had to go back to theatre to have the wound closed.

Finally yesterday I was given 2 crutches & the all clear. I am now sat at home with a lot of time on my hands.
I have been told that everything was a big success & I will be back playing sports sometime in the future.
Oh and my team won the final on a penalty shoot out.
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Re: So why did I disappear for a week?

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

Ouch and ouch

Get well soon Gav
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Glad they were able to get you put back together. It hurts to think of it. Hang in there. Glad the your team won.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

OMG... ouch!

Glad you all back together now!
ImageImage
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]War Trophy »

Ouch Gav! You have my sympathies old chap. I know only too well what it's like to have vital skeletal components shatter in an instant and relocate themselves outside one's body! You have to post a pic of the xrays with all the hardware - and like old battlefield soldiers, we can compare our war wounds!
This is my xray after a particularly nasty work accident, where my ankle disassembled itself into 8 component parts lol:

So with so much time on your hands now, we hope to see you splitting your time evenly between BC and BF, once the excruciating agony disipates after about 2 months :P
Btw, it took me one year before I was allowed to walk after that injury, how long do they think you'll be out for?
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

owww - That is way too nasty to happen to such a nice chap!
Hope you heal soon and look at the bright side, think how much 42 you can play and how much you can work on getting your BC2 rank wayyyy up there!
All the best Gav!
[JiF]Nagle
Repeat Visitor

Post by [JiF]Nagle »

Hopefully your recovery goes quickly. Best Wishes
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

:shock: Oh Gav,

Sorry to hear that buddy, hope you get back on your feet (literally) soon

All the best

ZtF
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

Ouch. At least your health care was free! :) Did they give you good drugs?
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Ouch Gav , thank goodness they have mangaged to put you back together. Please next time you take a break can it be less painful!

-- Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 am --

Ouch Gav , thank goodness they have managed to put you back together. Please next time you take a break can it be less painful!
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

OMG! Get better soon my friend and take the three V's!
Valium, Vicadin, and Vodka. Compound shmompound. All will be better! :razz: :hah: :oops: :twisted: ;D
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]BisonBurger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BisonBurger »

OUCH!

So sorry to hear about your terrible injury Gav.

You're friends at JiF are thinking about your awful experience and hoping for a fast recovery.

Best wishes pal!
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

Whew! That sounds wicked painful. Hope you get better soon, Gav! On the bright side, now you can catch up with lost gaming time ;)
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Eww!
I cringe just thinking about it.
Get better soon m8! :D
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Thanks for the sentiments chaps.
Unfortunately I do not have any x-rays or pictures ( but I could enquire as the radiologist said that people buy cd's of theses things) They did take a hell of a lot of stuff too. Pictures with the digital camera in A&E so surgeons had an idea of what was under all the dressings. Loads of x-rays at A&E, then loads more after the steel rod emplacement. I still can't believe they knocked a rod down my bone starting at the top knee joint all the way down to the foot.
I am already bored sitting at home & have arranged for work to get me a chauffeur to ferry me back & forth each day. So it's back to work for me tomorrow.