Website acting strange

Extra, extra read all about it.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Website acting strange

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Ever since the host moved my account to a new server I've had trouble keeping the site alive for more than a few days. After some investigation the host told me that some of the website scripts must be causing processes to hang. The hung process eventually build up over 100 processes, at which point my sites don't respond anymore. I then have to go in manually and kill all the hung processes and the sites come back. You may have noticed that jiff.net sometimes just doesn't come up, no error, it just doesn't ever seem to do anything. This was the cause. I think I have finally found the culprit and I'm happy to say it's not my fault! lol The new version of some software on the server has some bugs, and the way the host had it configured caused all of these problems. I've disabled the offending features and hope that things are finally stabilized and that I can continue to improve the site. I had stopped making any changes for fear that things might get worse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next few days will see the site remain active without my intervention. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Re: Website acting strange

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

Mike - I know you put a lot of effort into the JiFF site. It is greatly appreciated and I just wanted to say 'Thank You'
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Re: Website acting strange

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I wholeheartedly agree with Badger, you do sterling work Mike much of it unseen and unacknowledged.

I did have problems with Jiff.net yesterday - couldn't log on at all the whole day - kept getting a 503 script error
Today however its fine
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula