Play tips?

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Server
[JiF]Gib

Play tips?

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I thought I'd start a thread so we could share tips and tactics.

I need help with seeing others before they see me. Is it just because I've no longer have young eyes or should I turn off all the graphics options? I have a terrible problem seeing people through the tank/apc sights with the bloom thing they overdid in the game too so was wondering if thers some setting I am missing to turn down or shut off bloom process. I have other games that have bloom process and you have the options in the vid settings to set the level or turn them off completely. Would like to turn the blood on my screen off but I have a feeling that is the seeing through the "haze of pain" and is built into the game and not able to turn off?

The other thing I have a problem with is dropping my targets. I am shooting and I know Im hitting as I am getting the hit indicator(or am I getting the indicator but in reallity missing?). Im dumping 2-4 SECONDS of continous auto fire with the medic LMG and people fire back and drop me with a headshot or a round or 2. Whisky Tango Foxtrot?! :) Is the body armor THAT protective? I don't have it yet but should at 14(13 now) so maybe I'll see the same benefit.

One other thing, what is the range of a knife? It seems 8-10feet as I was inside a room and a guy came running through the door, I opened up with my MG hitting him but he lunged at me from 8-10 feet away and the animation looked like a fencer lunge and of course killed me. So my question is, if someone opens up on you shouldn't your animation and attack be interupted by "defensive fire" like fire combat gets interupted in game? Does the body armor upgrade prevent interuption because I've alos experienced that people I get the jump on don't seem to have their aim thrown off like I do when I am hit.

Weird how my skills are not transfering over to this game from 42. Anyone else have the same difficulties? For those that have been playing and doing well, does this game just take a few weeks to get adjusted to? IE, it will come to me, I just need to play more to get the feel of it?
[JiF]Pvt. Harrick
Forum User

Re: Play tips?

Post by [JiF]Pvt. Harrick »

Always spot things so your team knows what might be where, and always look before you move, but do not stay in one place for an extended amount of time, otherwise, the other team may become wise to you and...
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Gib, I feel exactly the same about this game as you do. I am experiencing the same conundrums as you. I even hit people with the knife from behind & they do not die!
Are you supposed to hold the button down or should one quick click be enough?
I do not get the difference in guns too. I want to know how a player I am looking at through a sniper scope from distance can drop me with a pistol. Surely the distance would be too great to have any accuracy for a handgun. Again is this a level of player ability that you obtain once you get high enough.
I got the body armour upgrade last night but on my last map so I will have to wait until tonight to try & see how much difference.
I was a little worried by the player who appeared to be melting in to the wall on my death cam last night! The same player also apeared to be projecting in to one of the M-COMS on the rush map after shooting me as he defended the box later on.
[JiF]Cesar
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Cesar »

[JiF]Lt Gav wrote:I want to know how a player I am looking at through a sniper scope from distance can drop me with a pistol. Surely the distance would be too great to have any accuracy for a handgun.
Well, if he spams the spot button, he can probably see you. But with a pistol?! That must have been some lucky shots...... :/

And i took a headshot to a pilot in a helicopter. I shot a bit ahead of the chopper killed someone got a headshot bonus, and saw the chopper crashing to the water.... ;D
                                                          ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

I do love those helicopter kills ^_^

And while I've noticed a similar thing on the Xbox version, but that's more because of I'm playing with a controller rather than a mouse/keyboard combo. Ballistics in this game are interesting. I've headshot somebody with the M1911 from across the map because I aimed high and randomly took a shot at a marker. Who knew?
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Ya, I had the same sniper to pistol thing and lost.
I tried the pistol and it seemed better at long range than short. Stuff does not seem to make any real sense.
Doc and I also noticed when we played in the same room that both our PCs did not always show the same stuff.
For instance he was shooting a milk crate and pushing it around. It did not even show on my screen and the same in reverse.
You would see it in the original location and yet the other would see it moving around. Pretty odd.
Every time I think I have figured out how to hit someone the physics seem the change.
The whole knife thing just does not add up either.
Could be some prediction programming thing. I have run right into someone waiting and be able to get the drop on them when I should have been cut down. Seems like they did not even see me coming. Then had the same thing happen to me. Seems like you have them dead and you drop.
I have decided to shrug a lot of it off as it is just a game, as I am having fun with it even with the strangeness.
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

[JiF]Cesar wrote:
[JiF]Lt Gav wrote:I want to know how a player I am looking at through a sniper scope from distance can drop me with a pistol. Surely the distance would be too great to have any accuracy for a handgun.
And i took a headshot to a pilot in a helicopter. I shot a bit ahead of the chopper killed someone got a headshot bonus, and saw the chopper crashing to the water.... ;D
One time i played i where recon. Just for fun i fired 1 shot with the M1911 on an enemy chopper that approached. I saw the hit indi. and thought that handguns also deals damage on choopers. Well i see that the killing an enemy: headshot sudden appears on the screen and i also see a fully loaded chooper crashing on a recon. And i get the kills. Wow... :hah:
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I'm sure the physics thing explains the player appearing in the wall. That & my ping :lol:
I really prefer playing medic with the m60. I guess it' s partly a team thing so you can heal/revive your squad (especially when they spook you by spawning off you behind & you turn & see someone & momentarily open up on them Nagle & I both did it last night). The m60 is good because unlike in BF2 you can just keep your finger on the trigger & unload with that baby (no overheating here). Useful when a squad spawns of the 1 chap you are just attacking.
Like I said to Nagle last night though just have fun with trying to kill the oponents. It is after all only a game.
[JiF]Hamster
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Hamster »

I play BattleField Bad Company 2 on the ps3. Has anyone tried using the UAV? I use the UAV every time i'm an attacker i've gotten so many kills, road kills and headshots with the UAV it's really fun to use. Here is a tip have a squad member go assault or recon a class that has c4 and place multiple c4 charges on the little UAV copter and while you can fly it to a tank, MCOM Station, Heavy MG, or a large group of enemies and tell your squad member when to blow the c4. it really works i've done it and you can use it on any other vehicle just make sure if you use it on a land vehicle that a tank or rpg does not hit your vehicle or you will commit suicide or the enemy can kill you faster. Be sure to have a mic.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Wow Hamster,that is a great UAV trick.

I need to stop whining in TS3 (things like, "How the hell did Doc just kill me?") and realize that 1) I may not be very good; and 2) in line with what Grimp said above, what I'm seeing may not be what is actually happening. There have been too many times when I seem to have a drop on someone and he just looks up and kills me in 1.5 seconds; I have to believe that I didn't really get the drop on him; he saw me coming and had his gun ready before I did.

I am starting to use C4 a lot more now. It seems so obvious, but it can be great as a flag ambush. I've been playing a lot on the Junkyard Dawgz server (all Atacama Desert) when the JiF one is empty, and I like to put 3 C4 charges near a flag and just wait for an enemy tank to roll in. I've found the mortar rounds are not as effective, and the enemies just move out of range once it starts.

Also, not sure if it is my new mouse or I am getting better, but I now am able to put rifle grenades onto targets more easily. Pop an ammo crate next to you, and you can put a steady explosive hurt on an area, like an MCOM you are defending. However, they do not/not work at close range.

I am really enjoying this game, especially playing on our server. Got over 7500 points last night on a Rush map, which is a new record for me.
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Ya I found out the 40mm GL doesn't work at close range myself. I guess it needs time to arm itself and makes sense.

That's weird about the crate.

At first I didn't think it was lag(getting the drop on someone but getting smoked) since the connect screen shows my ping of 15 but that is false. When in game, my ping is 153 so I bet that's why I feel like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere.

I might have to bite the bullet or try and find a server with better ping while I level up then when I get all the unlocks I can resume play on our server. I'm sure I'll eventually be able to learn how to shoot with my ping and get a feel for this. Guess I need a server with training wheels :hah:

Trying like a mother to do my best but only getting a few hundered points on most rounds of play makes for unacceptable progress and is not fun. Afterall like said before its a game, and games are suposed to be fun.

Nice 7k points in a round Stinky btw!.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I get most of my points by capping flags, dropping medkits/ammo boxes and getting partial kills. I usually pull in only 400-500 points per map.

The MCOM attack last night was a rare exception where my kills were a major factor.

One thing I like in this game is that flanking is a key tactic, much more so than in BF1942. If you can slip behind the enemy, you can get some quick and easy kills.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Ya, sneeky is good :) Also being in a squad is much more fun than being a by yourself and much more productive.
Somebody kills everyone, somebody heals everyone and somebody gives our ammo and spams the objective with nades after the c4 is set (my usual job). If you got a snipe he can spot and rain terror on the objective with mortors. Squads are good :)
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I got a 15,000+ points round last night :lol:
Must admit that 15,000 points were for achievement awards. I think it was 10,000 for amassing 5 Gold Stars over time & 5,000 for another achievement of some sort.
I do like the squad element too. Got to have a medic in the squad to heal/revive & if he gets dropped pick up his kit & revive him. Being able to spawn back on your squad also is a big boost to stop you running on your own to get back to them again. The number of times I'm attacking 1 chap & his squad spawns on him & guns me down is uncanny. Doc, Jimbo & I played squad on another server last night & I'm sure we got best squad virtually every round because we tried to stick together & worked as a team.
I still haven't worked out the distance you need to be from a c4 blast to stop from killing yourself. I tend to stick the charge on a vehicle run like mad until I think I'm far enough away, but before I get spotted & boom I've done myself in again. :lol:
[JiF]Nagle
Repeat Visitor

Post by [JiF]Nagle »

Honestly, I think I am slowly starting to figure this game out. Here are some things I have learned: 1. Doc is some kind of BFBC2 prodigy. 2. Never run out in the open. 3. Staying alive and letting squad mates spawn off of you is far more useful then ramboing into a room and letting Doc have his way with you. 4. This game is awesome.

BTW, sorry if you caught me inadvertently swearing... thought I had ts3 set to push-to-talk, instead it was voice activated, so needless to say, things got broadcast that should not have.