DSL Modem died!

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

DSL Modem died!

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

My DSL modem died last Thursday night ;( .

Since it is rented I contacted my ISP and got put through to a call centre in India.

Apparently before I can get a new modem the call centre has to arrange an external phone line inspection. If there is no problems with my external phone line, then I have to set up an appointment with the phone company to perform an internal inspection of the phone jacks to test to see if I can receive an internal signal. If I can then receive a signal inside, then I will be able to order a new modem.

So all things considered I might be back online in a month or so...
I have decided to produce and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly".
That way everyone in the country can get wasted drinking Responsibly.
And all the other drinks makers will be advertising for me on their cans with the slogan "please drink Responsibly".
Probably will annoy the government as well.
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Re: DSL Modem died!

Post by [JiF]corn »

Have you tried a different provider for your DSL?
If you are like me though, i only have one company in my area that provides DSL.
Supposedly AT&T is currently working on getting in this area to provide DSL.
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

The saga continues...

On Monday, I was able to borrow a new dsl modem from work. I hooked it up at home and viola! instant connection.

I contacted my ISP again and got the call centre in India to let them know that my phone line is fine, that I am using a borrowed modem and I am able to connect so could they please ship me a new rental modem.

They responded that they are still troubleshooting the problem, and a phone tech would be by my house to check my lines...

I responded by asking why they still needed to troubleshoot since the problem has now been identified, and asked them if I was able to connect from home through my phone line using a loaned modem how could my home phone line be a problem.

I got the "we have procedures that need to be followed for troubleshooting" comment.

So we are now on day 5 since I contacted them, I am connected using a loaned modem, but I have not seen or heard from the phone company's tech, and I have no new rental modem.

I cannot wait to fill out the obligatory customer satisfaction survey I receive everytime I call for tech support.
I have decided to produce and sell a strong alcoholic drink called "Responsibly".
And all the other drinks makers will be advertising for me on their cans with the slogan "please drink Responsibly".
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

I know exactly what you mean.
Crap like that makes me want to go postal on the phone with them. :shoot:

I have talked to people in customer service who were in India and some of them i couldn't understand what version of English they were saying. :what: :shock:
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

In my personal experience, they tend to use better grammar and pronunciation than I do (must have something to do with the influence of our Eastern friends from across the pond).

But what cracks me up is when they tell me their name is "Duke" or some other North American based coversion of their given name.

Right now I am just happy to be connected and I am approaching this as more of a science experiment to see just how long this will take following process. I am also hoping I am home when the phone tech shows up so I can tell him to forget about the lines, hand him my modem to test, and give him directions to the nearest Tim Hortons.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Do they have a local office you can go to? Showing up in person would be kinda fun. They obviously do not need to waste their time or yours by checking the phone lines. I would tell them that you refuse to pay for service during the time you are waiting for them to come to your house.

This makes me think of our cable company. If I want to add a cable box to my plan, an additional $5/mo, they have to come out and 'install' it, for an installation fee of $60! When I ask them if I can come pick it up or if they can ship it, they always say no. I told them they are crazy to require me to pay for something I don't need. Anyway... I don't have a 2nd cable box. :) I hate these company's and their dumb policies and procedures.
ImageImage
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

Their policies and procedures are to screw over the customer, this is especially true for Comcast.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]philippe
Forum User

Post by [JiF]philippe »

(I have talked to people in customer service who were in India and some of them i couldn't understand what version of English they were saying)

Hey Corn, it is strange we have same problem in France because we have office of our internet tech in Marrakech.... :razz:
[JiF]FrenchAfroman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]FrenchAfroman »

so the english speaking countries end up in india the french in morocco but what bout the germans or norwegians???
well in order to save money they could just connect us to china what ever even if ew dont understadn a word what those chinese are saying the cabel guys can jnever help u anyways so wh not talk to them in another language
If we make prisons a living hell for them, then we might just be sending out devils once they are released. Cruel methods to achieve discipline are a thing of the past! So, keep on dancing! Byron F. Garcia.
[JiF]Djsmg
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Djsmg »

Well I thought I would post another update.

On Thursday of last week I contacted Tech Support yet again to see what the status of my new modem was because as per the last conversation I had with them I was supposed to have received it by then.

They had not ordered it for me as of yet... so I complained about the service I had been receiving to date plus reminding them about how long we have been with their service (9+ years) and they ended up giving me a credit for a free month on my account. As of Thursday they had placed an order for a new modem, and it should be delivered hopefully today or tomorrow but as it is Easter the holiday could skew the delivery date a bit.

-- Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:27 am --

Last update from me on this (I hope).

When I last contacted tech support I had arranged to have the modem shipped to my workplace because the delivery required a signature. When the delivery did not arrive at work yesterday by 5pm (It was ordered last April 1st) I decided to contact them yet again, and they couldn't even tell me where they had it shipped to.

When I got home last night I found the modem on my front porch left there by the courier (nobody signed for it)...

If anything else goes wrong I will definately be switching ISP's.