Solitaire wargames - Phantom Leader

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Solitaire wargames - Phantom Leader

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I don't know if many of you also play board wargames like I do, but there have been a slew of great ones released recently that are designed specifically for solitaire play.

The one on my table now is Phantom Leader, from Dan Verssen Games. In it, you play a squadron commander in Vietnam, organizing your F-4s, F-104s, A-6s, etc to strike targets while keeping an eye on your pilot's stress levels and the political fallout associated with the targets you hit.

The same company also just released Frontline: D-Day, which is a card-based game of tactical combat in Normandy featuring the US, UK and Germany. Each card is a soldier or vehicle, and there are rules for solo play.

Other recent solitaire games have been Where There is Discord (Falklands), D-Day at Omaha Beach, RAF (Battle of Britain, playable from either side), Field Commander: Alexander (the Great,that is) and Fields of Fire (a very complex but realistic portrayal of company-level combat in Normandy, Korea and Vietnam).

Boardgamegeek.com is a great resoruces for finding out more about games in general (all the titles above are covered), and consimworld.com is good for wargames.

I try to buy games from my FLSG (Friendly Local Game Store) whenever I can, but there are also some very good on-line retailers that offer good discounts: Bouldergames.com, Wargamedepot.com, Bunkerhillgames.com, etc.
[JiF]Gib

Re: Solitaire wargames - Phantom Leader

Post by [JiF]Gib »

ROFLMAO Stinky (the video!)

Awswome links man, thanks. I will have to check them out. "Back in the day" I used to be a rabid board war-gammer: Ogre, Warhammer(40k and Fantasy minis), Panzer Grenadier, Road to Moscow, hell anything will a hexagon grid map and those cardboard chits! I started writing a vb .net game engine to re-create them with a map maker and a combined arms rules but havent worked on it in a few years.

I will have to check them out, maybe I should get Vassal so we and others could play online head to head!

Gib

-- Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:52 pm --

Oh and btw, check out this: http://www.gametableonline.com/market/g ... vation.php

Axis and Allies, Battlecry, and Dogfight :)

ya, have to try that out sometime!
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Sure.

By the way, GMT Games is doing a Vassal demo tonight at 830 EST of their new naval game called Serpents of the Seas. It covers naval actions in the Revoltionary War and War of 1812, including the battles on Lakes Champlain and Erie. It's pretty cool watching and listening to them play the game. Tonight they are doing a ship duel scenario between the USS Constitution and the HMS Guerriere (John Paul Jones' famous victory).

Here's a link that explains how you can download the Vassal engine, Vassal mod and the settings for Ventrilo. I plan to be participating, under the name Johnny LaRue (my WOW Vent name).

http://www.gmtgames.com/t-GMTVentrilo.aspx
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Thanks for the info Stinky & Gib , I'll check em out. Awesome video Stinky it could well have been a webcam of me ;D
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Shell, the game I mentioned above called Where There Is Discord is awesome, but a bit pricey (46.90 pounds). It is currently out of print but a new edition is expected shortly. Playing a game of it is like reliving a narrative of the Falkalnds War (and you DO play as the Brits). I played once and lost badly due to ship losses -- my Domestic Opinion fell to zero and the government fell.

http://www.fifthcolumngames.com/