3D-HDTV

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

3D-HDTV

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

Anyone know anything about the upcoming crop of HDTVs that are going to be 3D-ready this summer? I've been more and more interested in this tech lately after seeing Avatar in the theater. Samsung looks to be coming out with 3D televisions soon (they showcased them at CES recently) and I saw where the PS3 is going to get an update to the firmware that enables it to play 3D Bluray discs for both movies and games.

The only catch to all of this is you likely have to wear glasses to experience the effect. But you don't have to wear them all of the time, and apparently 3D Bluray movies are backwards compatible with 2D by nature of the new MPG spec just being a variant of the existing one used to encode movies.

I'm especially excited thinking about the implications it has for live sports. Thoughts?
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Re: 3D-HDTV

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

I've been looking into the 3D monitors, some seem to come with glasses. But I'm waiting till the bugs get worked out......new always has bugs
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Some pubs in the UK & Ireland showed a top soccer game in 3D last weekend carried via satelite.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 13,00.html
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Well I would get interested in 3D but when your blind in 1 eye you can't really see the 3D very well. I would love to experience 3D just once to see what its like but I doubt that will ever happen.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

WOW Lone, I'm sorry to hear that my friend. I feel some of your pain, if it were'nt for these coke bottle glasses I wear I couldn't see anything myself.
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

I'm supposed to wear glasses for distance but I really only use them when driving long distances or at the movies. I think I end up ticking a lot of people off by not recognizing them out in public and saying hi. Maybe I should wear a sign around my neck. Or maybe I should just wear the stupid glasses. :razz:
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

I wear glasses with the same script for both eyes. I have some peripheral vision out of my eye which lets me detect a person or something moving and such but I couldn't tell you who or what it is. With my right eye being the way it is it puts a lot of strain on my left eye which causes a lot probs. I hope that someday they will be able to fix the scaring on my retina so I can see out of it. I have had this condition since birth so its not like I had vision in both and then lost it and know what I miss. Its just something I have learned to live with and do without a lot of the luxury's like 3D and such.

Not sure if any of the Jiffers noticed how I had my head turned to the right just when I was gaming when I came up for Nor'Easter that year. I turn my head just a little and if your not looking right at me to see it you would never notice it. I do this so I can use my peripheral vision of my left eye when I game to see everything. I think the blind part hurts my gaming a lot because I'm at a big disadvantage of not being able to look straight and see the whole monitor at once.
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

my mothers friends son, whos 2 years old has the same eye prob as you, lonewolf. he is blind on his left eye too! i have heard that theres scientist experementing on eye replacement and they are on the good way with it so i think you'll have a hope, lonewolf ;)

Gnomie
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Yeah they are working on replacing the whole eye and also repairing the retna in Germany. Anytime there is some kind of experiment on eye surgery to fix blindness I'm all over it trying to see what they get done. I am on a list for the testing on the retna repair but at this time I have to goto Germany to get it done. They docs have been trying to get it approved in the US and when they do I'll be able to get in on the testing. So far the 4 attempts made to get approval for the US has been denied. I don't understand what the problem is but the US says its to risky to allow but in Germany they have had a 98% success rate with it.
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

Anyway, Norway would never accept it. Too many laws and laws and laws....

By the way, i will try upgrade the firmware when i get my own PS3(we got one at the living room)
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

I personally think 3D-TV is just a gimmick until they create a successful product that doesn't require glasses. I know there are some prototypes that can create a 3D like image with no glasses, but it's not quite ready yet. The only problem I see with the TVs they are selling now is the need for glasses, just seems like its one more thing to worry about, I mean I have a hard enough time finding the remote!

As for 3D gaming I just bought a 120hz 3D-Ready monitor for around $220. The increased refresh rate is amazing and looks great when playing fast paced games like BFBC2. I have a nVidia 9800 GTX+ so whenever I get around to buying the glasses I'll be able to play games in 3D, but it's another $200 for the glasses kit so I'm just waiting for the time being. I heard its a cool experience and looks great though.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

I'm hoping it's not just a gimmick. I think the content providers have a vested interest in bringing this to market and FAST... most people have already taken the plunge to a nice big HDTV set, and (like me) are content with it and probably won't upgrade for a while. Building in 3D forces the issue a bit. The one thing I'm concerned about is the refresh rate. 3D requires 240hz. I was viewing a movie on a friend's 120hz TV and the picture looked almost game-like. It was a little too-perfect, if that's even a possibility... and ultimately looked like computer-rendered actors. Would the higher refresh rate required for 3D make that effect even worse?
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

[JiF]Trogdor wrote:I'm hoping it's not just a gimmick. I think the content providers have a vested interest in bringing this to market and FAST... most people have already taken the plunge to a nice big HDTV set, and (like me) are content with it and probably won't upgrade for a while. Building in 3D forces the issue a bit. The one thing I'm concerned about is the refresh rate. 3D requires 240hz. I was viewing a movie on a friend's 120hz TV and the picture looked almost game-like. It was a little too-perfect, if that's even a possibility... and ultimately looked like computer-rendered actors. Would the higher refresh rate required for 3D make that effect even worse?
From my understanding a higher refresh rate will make it look fresh/better. Right now for computer lcds the highest refresh rate is 120Hz, so when you enable stereoscopic 3D, each eye sees a slightly different image at 60Hz producing the 3D effect.

So a 3D-HDTV with a 240Hz refresh rate would in theory give a stereo image of 120Hz refresh to each eye. High refresh rate gives less strain and clearer picture for the eyes.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking