Need home gaming console advice

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Crash
Forum User

Need home gaming console advice

Post by [JiF]Crash »

OK, Been with JiF since 2002, and the only game I have played was PC BF42 bought in 2002 and then the expansions for PC. I know I need to get with the times. My kids are 5 and 8 now and the wife and I are thinking of a gaming console for the family, not just them. I know there is the Wii, Xbox, and PS3, but with these things $299+, I would like to know what is best. The games that are going to be bought for the console are age appropriate games.

I'm sure I'm leaving out data that you guys need to know to base a suggestion.

Let me know what you guys like and what to avoid.

Thanks

[JiF]Crash, since 2002
[JiF]Crash (Jiffer since 2002)
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Re: Need home gaming console advice

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Hi Crash,

I have a wii and PS3 and really the answer to your question is personal to you - in terms of family fun and entertainment you cannot go wrong with a Wii. it has a full range of games and the like that will appeal to all the family

The kids have a huge range to choose from, Sports (golf,tennis, football [NFL and Soccer] and so on) Platform (sonic, mario, Donkey Kong, M&S olympics) then there are the compendium games with tons of mini-games and challenges

For yourself there are the FPS [which you can play with normal controller in hand or by holding the Wiimote and nunchuk as a rifle (you can get a holder)] the racing/driving games, Mario Kart is awesome and you can play 2 player online races I believe, but this does have a good following, there are F1, Rally and I'm sure NASCAR titles too. I think that there is a sword fighting game too, plus the boxing etc - all of these can be played with the controller or using the wii capabilities.

For the lady there are the Wii fit (& Fit ) the EA sports workout, sports resort and if she is the competitive type the racing games etc.. are a good bet too. once you buy the accessories (Wii Fit Board, motion plug-ins, extra controllers, extra nunchucks) it can work out pretty expensive, but the games are not that costly: £12.99-£39.99

There are a lot of interesting and innovative games with the Wii, plus it has other capabilities
Internet browser (fairly slow)
Weather and news updates
Chat & IM
Picture & music storage
(you can get them chipped real easily and D/L games too it is 100% reversible. But I couldn't possibly recommendt this or someone to do it for you or which is best *ahem)
It has an online store too so you can get games/updates without leaving the sofa !!
added to this is the extra benefit of getting you moving about too, it is possible to play most games just by using your wrist and not a lot else (NO DIRTY COMMENTS/THOUGHTS PLEASE!)
But is is fun to do the jumping about too, especially the boxing!!

On the other hand I could say nevermind the family and go with your heart which is saying
[JiF]Crash's Heart wrote wrote:GET A PS3, DO IT CRASH, BUY ONE, NOW, A PS3, YOU NEED IT, HECK YOU DESERVE IT, SO WHY WAIT, GO BUY ONE, A PS3 etc......
They are incredible, the range of games is great,
they are cheaper and more energy efficient than they were, more reliable than XBox, FREE to play online (although ads are starting to appear :( )
graphics, hardware and software are market leaders, the new ones have Blueray and Dolby 7.2/3 built in (which is $300 all day long anyway)
Bier, Hamster, Buick and I all have one.
It has a pretty good browser - full flash,
wireless controllers with sixaxis movement control,
Built in bluetooth - sync your phone/mp3, 80-120Gb harddrive so tons of storage
Can't be chipped or Hacked so no danger of Wipes cheating on you, NOT MICROSOFT (which is as good a reason as any to buy one!) so no spying on your details
Games are ok but as with XBox the new ones are Heckspensive! up to $70, but some of the older titles are platinum now so only cost $25-$30

really it all depends on what you want it for and how much you trust you offspring not to bust your TV, each other or themselves if you go for a Wii
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/znFJrg1Eq7Y&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/znFJrg1Eq7Y&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

or how much you want to play these if you go for a PS3
[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvsP_DL7eD0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvsP_DL7eD0&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ8TxAbDdjc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ8TxAbDdjc&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by [JiF]zougathefist on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

If you don't have Blu-Ray yet I would suggest the PS3 as well. Even though I have the 360, the Blu-Ray is a very compelling reason to buy a PS3 if you do not already have one of the next gen consoles. The games are pretty much the same IMO, at least for the big titles. I have 2 360's one for my son and one for me. As for the reliability of the 360 vs the PS3 I don't think it's an issue with the newer ones, so doesn't really matter. The Xbox is of course from MS, that may or may not matter to you. Personally Microsoft products are what keep me employed where I work, so I'm all for them. :) I am very tempted to get a PS3 for the family for Xmas this year, but I don't know....do I really need another game system... lol
ImageImage
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I would say, given the age of your kids, that the Wii would be your best bet.
There are lots of great games with cartoon style characters in to enjoy as a family.
My daughter is 13 & we have good fun playing with & against each other. This was the selling point for me. The ability to play with up to 4 people at once or in turn based games is great.
Our Wii came with the basic sports package (tennis, bowling, boxing, baseball etc.) This kept us happy for quite a while. Then got the beach sports (includes volleyball , frizbee, American Football, Cricket, Boules). The games are not too hard to master which is what makes it fun for younger kids. There aren't a lot of button combinations needed to play games.
I too have Mario kart which a great fun driving game.
I am looking at getting the fit board for Christmas as I also want to get some kind of winter sports game.
Last edited by [JiF]Lt Gav on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

[JiF]Mike wrote:....do I really need another game system...
Mike becomes the latest member of JiF to participate in the Stupid Question game
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

After writing that post my sons XBox broke, it stopped reading discs. He called the support number and they told him his 3 year warranty was up, so it was gonna cost $120 to fix! I told him he better get on the job hunt a little harder. :D
ImageImage
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

I know that this is not really relevant (go figure ;) ) but I'd go with anything but the XBox - simply because there is something really creepy about their current ad campaign. What is the story with the cougar wannabe and the kids playing the XBox? Is it funny, sexy, hip or just plain scary. If that was a man hanging out with the kids and an XBox 360 the word 'luring' come to mind?

(Xbox 360 - It's More Fun Time TV Spot - Senorita) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smeiNFw058o
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

It's not creepy :/

It shows Xbox can be enjoyed by all ages. As someone once said: "Online gaming is a place for all to come together, unbiased of age (since age cannot be immediately checked), and for them all to come together and work to a singular purpose; be it the saving of a city, finding lost treasure, or brutually murdering their enemies. It's a glorious thing."
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

If that was your mom, you'd call it creepy,

lol Badger, 'Luring'? Its called grooming over here but I think its the same thing!
-Nietzsche

-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

My mom taught me how to play games >.>

:lol:
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM