New PC

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Re: New PC

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

I personally like the extra LEDs. I remember the good ol' days when one had to rummage around in the dusty dark beneath the desk, attempting to manauver a flashlight to where you could see. LEDs for the win :D
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

What I want to know is - do the lights dim in Mass when you fire that thing up? :lol:
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

The steet lights in the area do dim a bit :)
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I just did the unthinkable and ordered my son his xmas present from Dell. He's probably off to college next year and I didn't want to be responsible for providing much support. I'm actually jealous of the thing, bet it's gonna be awesome. Here's the stats, and Grimp...I think it's gonna kick your pc's butt. :D It's weird not building one, and I know I could save some cash by building it...but it's just so easy!

Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz (24GB max!!)
Dell 21.5 inch S2209W Full HD Widescreen Monitor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB DDR3 (odd number I know but that's what is says)
Que silly little video... it's got nice music. :roll:

Then I really put a hurtin on the ol' wallet by ordering my wifes xmas present, a Dell Studio 17 laptop. I'm going to feel very left out come Christmas morning. :( I can't wait for it though!!!
ImageImage
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]Mike wrote:I just did the unthinkable and ordered my son his xmas present from Dell. He's probably off to college next year and I didn't want to be responsible for providing much support. ...
The more times change the more they stay the same. Family helping family, it’s what it is all about. When I entered university my mother came to visit once and bought me a case of dented tuna tins along with a case of No-Name macaroni and cheese. I had mentioned that I had lost weight (I had lost 55lbs in less than 4 months) when I phoned home and she decided to help out. I still remember the 20 some recipes I developed for Tuna & Macaroni casserole. I used to call it 'Macaroni au Gratin' to impress my girl friend, (chicks love French cuisine!) while we were still together. Still, it was a classic student / parent phone call. I could hear my father tell Mom to say Hi to me in the background as we spoke. I've never heard his voice on the phone except to say "i'll get your mother" so at least I think that’s what he said, he might just have been asking for a beer. It was, after all, football season. In any case it was as close to a Kodak moment in our family as there ever was (or maybe more of a Memorex moment since I couldn't see them?) and it still fills me with warmth.

When my older brother came to visit me he filled his hockey bag with toilet paper he lifted from the barracks where he was posted. In exchange for letting him and his four army buddies crash at my place (I was forced to stay at a friends) I could keep all the toilet paper they didn’t use. It was that shiny industrial kind that was about as absorbent as wax paper and just as soft. It came on those the giant sized dispenser rolls and I had to rig a chain hoop to keep it from falling over and crushing the cat. Alas, I was only partially successful. Despite that, I must admit, I treasured each and every sheet. (No pun intended :lol: )

Ah memories, now why would your mention of a Dell make me think about that? It is strange how the mind works.

:hah:
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger wrote:
....It is strange how the mind works.

:hah:
Not really badger, its just strange how your mind works!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Pretty sweet system will you adopt me please?

Mine:
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 (12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ATI Radeon XT850XT (the wimpy part of my system for now).
Oh and I have red and blue lighted fans which make it go a lot faster :)
I will give him a few laps around the dirt track and see how wins :)

Badger all I can say is I have become that dad. Except for the beer and football part.
Even though I have a lot I feel I need to say to them it always ends up with "Hi how are you I'll get your mother."
I don't know if I am just tired or realize that they won't listen anyway :)
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote:... Badger all I can say is I have become that dad. Except for the beer and football part.
Even though I have a lot I feel I need to say to them it always ends up with "Hi how are you I'll get your mother."
I don't know if I am just tired or realize that they won't listen anyway :)
OMG – please don’t tell me you take my silly musings seriously? Whenever I’m under stress at work I write these stupid things to keep from biting someone’s head off. It’s been a stressful year so I’ve been writing more then usual - plus I need the peanuts.

'Except for the beer and football part.' LOL - Grimp you are depriving yourself of one the tangible rewards of fatherhood. Beer! My Dads' a great guy just not much of a phone person but then again that's why you get married right? Someone to help offset your weak areas. My particular weaknesses would require a harem, maybe two. Of the whole story the toilet paper part contained the greatest degree of truth - about 58% after allowing for wind-chill. In fact I hated the whole wax paper experience - but it was better then the alternative. The toilet paper part and the part about the dented tuna and macaroni is true - mostly. Of course the bit about the weight loss is also true but it was a bit more extreme then I wrote. The whole casserole thing was a little deceptive - I actually developed close to 30 variations. Most involved some sort of beer flavored sauce, but my memory is hazy here. They only out-an-out lie was the 'chicks love French cuisine!' bit. The fact is they simply love free food.

The whole point of this exercise was, to be honest, say 'I wish I had a Dell'. Since I currently can't afford it I have taken on the defiant stance of 'to-hell-with-Dell'. So I tucked my tongue firmly into my check and wrote my little aside. At that time a tiny little part of me was jealous. Now that you have revealed that the worst part of your system is better then my entire system (plus my car and dog combined) that little piece of jealousy has grown without restraint. Next time I see you on the battlefield I shall knife you without mercy (is there a merciful way to knife someone?). I shall knife you even if you are on my team. Actually, especially if you are on my team - since I'll need the added advantage of stealth. :hihi:

P.S. If you get a chance to benchmark your new rig I'd love to see the results. The specs look great! Congrats. :pada:
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Well my answer is no I don't. I am not gonna write a big story about it, but I enjoy reading yours :)
Just a point about becoming the dad you swear you never will become ;) Are you taking me serious about taking you serious?
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

[JiF][AARP]Grimp wrote:Well my answer is no I don't. I am not gonna write a big story about it, but I enjoy reading yours :)
Just a point about becoming the dad you swear you never will become ;) Are you taking me serious about taking you serious?
So does this mean I can't knife you? :]

I pretty much gave up all but the occasional glass of wine some years back. After my son was born I practically become a teetotaler. Of course my true conversion happen back in university, some day I'll write the story of the night that changed my outlook on alcohol, but only after I'm certain that my real name can't be traced. I have a great many enemies (and some of them are not imaginary) that would like to know this story but I intend to thwart them. Muahahaha!

Oops - Sorry Grimp. I really didn't mean to hijack your thread. As for the rest of you - nothing to see here folks - move along (he says while waving his hand like Obi-wan.)
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

When I get one of these you will all bow down before my awesome machine!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8392392.stm

This could run 4 games at once on split screen, you could be a whole team if you had enough hands!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF][AARP]Grimp

It is just getting scary :) Skynet will be taking over soon.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

[JiF]zougathefist wrote:When I get one of these you will all bow down before my awesome machine!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8392392.stm

This could run 4 games at once on split screen, you could be a whole team if you had enough hands!
Cool... and I've always thought this task manager was cool. They'd have to redesign for that sucker.
ImageImage
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

LOL, I was giggling when mine showed 4. What am I gonna do with 4 I thought. I don't have any servers at work with 4.
I could probably install server and get thin clients for every room in the house.
Still it looks cool ;)
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Snap!
Processors.JPG
This is from my laptop!