cpu vs bg42 vs lag?

Topics about Battlegroup 42.
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

cpu vs bg42 vs lag?

Post by [JiF]War Trophy »

My pc is really struggling to let me play bg42 effectively.

Last night I was playing on the Jif bg server, and even the bots were anniahilating me. I hardly ever got a chance to spawn - I was dead before I re-entered the game. When I do spawn and I'm in the clear, the game is in slow motion. Everything I see is at half speed, eg I'll see an enemy player, but even though I whip my mouse across my pad, the crosshairs take up to 3 seconds to catch up. it's a nightmare. The screen stutters a lot, especially when I'm zoomed in during close combat, my opponents just disappear off the screen, and I'm dead before my crosshairs can track his movements.

I never experienced this on the MOB bg42 server funnily enough. On MOB my ping is about 47ms, on JiF BG42 it's about 140ms.

However, my ping on Pot Luck is also 140ms, but I've never encountered that "slowmotion" effect on there.

Is this my graphics card which can't handle the rich and intensive graphics of bg42? Or do I have other problems?

My pc specs:
Date: 2003 Pentium 4
CPU: 3.06 GHz
1.5Gb DDR (recently upgraded from 512mb DDR)
Graphics card: GE Force5200
128 video memory

WT
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: cpu vs bg42 vs lag?

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Try dropping the game resolution down to the minimum and see if that helps. Are you running anything in the background that could be affecting it?
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

I also get this on some maps Trophy , Seelow Heights is particularly bad. My PC spec is very close to yours. Make sure that you don't have any other progs running a bit obvious I know but worth a check. :)
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

War
I am running BG42 on my old laptop which has

Pentium M 2.00 GHz
Windows XP
1.00 Gb Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon X600 128Mb

So my specs are same if not worse than yours. I do experience lag on some maps more than others, but not to the extent you describe. I also did not notice that much of a difference between MOB & JiF servers.
I run the game at 1024 x 768 resolution even though my machine resloution is normaly 1920 x 1200. Everything else I have set to high, but no lightmaps nor shadows & texture at 80%.
Hope you can get this sorted as it is worth it for the greater graphic & sound content.
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

Mhm. There's one custom map I have that kind of major lag for. It sucks, because I love that map. Especially with the crows ^_^
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Here is the recommended hardware for BG42 from the readme here: http://battlefield2.filefront.com/file/ ... _33;101283
Maybe only half the recommended video memory is your issue

Hardware Requirements/Performance Tips:

- We strongly recommend at least 2048MB RAM and a video card with at least 256MB RAM and a CPU with at least 2 GHz

- Do not try to play online with a connection speed lower than DSL/Cable.

- Close ALL unneeded background applications which are using bandwith and/or memory, like file-sharing programs,
file managers, e-mail programs, browsers etc. Make as much RAM available as possible.

- Check your ingame graphics settings. Reduce the screen resolution if necessary.

- defrag your complete hard disk at least once a month.

- Battlegroup42 only runs with 44kHz setting, 11 and 22 kHz are no longer supported, mainly for reasons of mod size
and the fact that modern onboard sound chips can handle 44kHz without problems.

- Hint: If you own a sound card which has 64 hardware accelerated channels (like the Audigy 2 for example) you can use
the following trick to play with 64 channels (which increases the amount of sounds played at once by a factor of 2 !):

-> Open the file "Default.con" with a text editor. It can be found in "Battlefield 1942Modsbf1942Settings
Make a copy of the file BEFORE changing anything !

-> change the line "Sound.setHardwareVoiceLimit 32" to "Sound.setHardwareVoiceLimit 64"

-> save the file

-> active hardware acceleration in the Sound menu of Battlefield 1942

-> play with 64 hardware accelerated sound channels :-)
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

Memory is ok so long as no other demanding programs are running.

The 5200 Nvidia card is a little light weight maybe.

I tried running BG with 22 KHz on the soundcard and it does work but you can't hear certain guns - mianly machine guns.

I have a 7950 GT ( 512 MB) going spare if thats any use.

hUTCHIE.
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]Kyle
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Kyle »

I'm glad it still works fine on my machine... I have a lower framerate than I used to have on normal BF 42 of course but fortunately it doesn't ruin my game. Really sorry for those of you guys who can't enjoy it so much at the moment... :/
"I divide the world into two kinds of people: those who like me - and those who can got to hell..."