Bought & Returned

Topics about EA's Battlefield 2 game
seadogs
Forum User

Bought & Returned

Post by seadogs »

A slightly strange story here.

After being informed that the entire family are coming for a whole day, i decided that i needed a new game to keep me sane. Armed with a £10 note and a bank i proceeded into our tourist, sea gull poo filled town to find something to have a go at.

at £9.99 for the entire BF2 collection I thought I was on a winner. With the £10 handed over and the long walk home over I installed, patched and did various other bits including eating peppermint slices, a pasty and of course a cup of tea.

After entering all the serials, I create my EA account thingy, all done and 'all working'. Or so it seemed.

"Error, you need to purchase BF2 booster pack to play", yet This was installed. After a quick email to EA it was decided that I was lying to them, afterall all my serials had been previously activated... Joy. I have a new sealed game, with the main serial previously activated and I am the one in the wrong. After taking a photo of the manual with such serials, EA decided to believe me! Hurrah!

They moved my serials over and promised me the game would work. Well it didnt, I still got this mammoth of a problem with activation. So i took the game back to game, this is where the fun started. After explaining that the main serial from this sealed box were in use, he offered me a swap, Oh no, I wanted a refund! But no, this wasnt going to happen as "I did not have proof that the problem existed", well Dim.Dom was not so Dim and took a full print out of the chat logs with EA.

Basically, I spent a tenner, to waste 4 days of playing time, to get a tenner back.

But What i would like to know, is BF2 actually any good?

So i shall be be on BF42 getting killed by various people I imagine, either that or trying out worms on winbloze 7. Or maybe a spot of solitaire.
Last edited by seadogs on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Seadogs
Dim.Dom | Lt Goose
Once, I hacked 127.0.0.1, My PC has never been the same since
id10t error, replace user and try again
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Re: Bought & Returned

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

I am probably in the minority here but I think BF2 was and is a backwards step from 1942, played it online for sometime and didn't enjoy it as much as BF1942.

Sure the graphics, maps and weapons are better. However in my opinion the game play is poorer.

If you think its bad in BF1942 with l33t pilots it’s a hell of a lot worse with apache helicopters and jets.

Also your infantry avoidance tactics (aka dancing / hopping) go all to pot. The winner in an infantry confrontation is who can dive on the floor first.

There are some good things. The zookaman gets a guided missile and a machine pistol. The snipers look pretty cool in their guile suits and the tanks / vehicles are good and assualt gets a proper machine gun.

If you play online there are lots of "no aircraft" or "infantry only" servers which implies that EA got the game play a little wrong.

Yours cynically

hUTCHIE.
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]Pvt. Harrick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Pvt. Harrick »

I would certainly not expect for you to be the minority. The weapons are sometimes better and the vehicles too,but for some people who have played 1942 for a while may have a hard time with it. I know I did. in an infantry situation, its best to lie down pull trigger and hope for hit. You jump way too high and takes a while b4 you can jump again, so it hard to get out of harms way sometimes. There is one thing that I like about the Support gunner tho... They carry ammo around which is always useful... if your not the support gunner. Some of the weapons in that game are very innaccurate and take forever just to narrow on a target. Now like Hutchie said, it has it's few up-sides...

...BUT BF1942 IS A HECK OF A LOT BETTER!

Thank you.

-Pvt. H
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I like dropping in to BF2 sometimes for a change, but tend to stick to coop servers. The bots seem to be more intuitive in BF2 & if you keep 1 spot eventually they seem to work you out.
I generally play the TNT server & they have a website that keeps your stats & medals logged.
I tried conquest & I guess I was playing on a laptop with high pings & generally got owned quite a lot as I could not set my distance view too high.
Like Harrick my fave is the Support Gunner. Get prone & blast away, but most effective at short range & don't forget to keep throwing out those ammo packs for your team mates!
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

I have BF2 and Special Forces.The Special Forces pack is better than the regular BF2.
If you can get on servers with no aircraft it can be just an okay game,otherwise the aircraft ruin it.
There is one map in particular whare you spawn on a carrier and the enemy has choppers flying around it killing you all the time. :what:

I got tired of the game and no longer play.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Unless they changed BF2 from the last time I played it, you can spend several minutes sneaking into some great position then have the opposing commander scan the map, find you and rain artillery shells on your little head. Then there was (and maybe still is) 'red tag' bug that would randomly ID a teammate as an opposing player. Try to explain to your teammate that you killed him because on your screen he's an enemy while on his you are friends. Then there was the inane upgrade system that killed the casual player. "I'll drop in for a quick game and use my pop gun against that hand cannon you get to carry because you play 24/7. Oh, and patch after patch that created as many problems as they fixed. Remember the anti-aircraft missles that would fly into a heat source and hang out until a plane flew by. Then they'd depart the fire and take out the plane? I'm starting to rant. I guess I should take my pills and stop.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

you have to install them manually and enter cd keys manually thats how i had to do with and the recent copy i got was 3 months ago