graphic anomalies in-game

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

graphic anomalies in-game

Post by [JiF]War Trophy »

Fairly regularly, while on the server I will see some anomalies in the graphic rendering. All shapes and sizes, colours and patterns.
Does anyone else experience these type of artifacts or am I the only one lucky enough to have a psychedelic view of the battlefield? :what: :cool:

Some of the larger ones can be a hindrance as you can't see whats coming from behind them. Sometimes I'll have weird shapes attatched to my weapons, like a long spike appearing on my gun barrel and grenades.
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Re: graphic anomalies in-game

Post by [JiF]rix »

Spooky :) I have never seen such weird things. Maybe it's time to call the exorcist.
[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

lol well think it is really time to call Ghost Busters lmao
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

HAXOR!!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

That 1st picture looks like you've got the 'Flying Carpet Hack' :lol:
I think you must be the only 1. I've never seen anything like this!
Some of them look pretty annoying.
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

What vid card do you have ?

What temperature does it run at ?

How old is it ?

Which driver version are you running on it ?
[JiF]Daterminaytah
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Daterminaytah »

yeah sounds like video card drivers / intergration
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

Sir Die-a-lot wrote:What vid card do you have ?

What temperature does it run at ?

How old is it ?

Which driver version are you running on it ?

Nvidea GEForce 5200 - from the stoneages :oops:
I'm pretty sure it's running hot
5 or 6 years old now
I do have latest drivers.

Yesterday something strange happened - I was playing BF42 and my computer suddenly shut itself down without warning. It was like the power suddenly went off. I restarted it and rejoined the server. A short while later it shut down again in midgame!
I restarted it once more but didn't play any more BF42. I have a dual fan cooling system, but hadn't been running the software that monitors my pc's temperature and which adjusts the fans speeds to accomodate for heating or cooling. I've now activated the software and have been running the pc for 24 hours without a shutdown, BUT I haven't played a lot of BF42 to really see if the problem has been soved. I played for an hour or so this morning without problems. We'll see. Just hope my power unit is not on it's way out, it's the second one I've installed already!
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

Make sure you have copied everything on to a backup system.
I was playing with an old AGP system that was built in 2004 and had the same shutdown problems.
One day i turned it on and it would not go to the Windows screen, i found out my hard drive go boom. :faint:
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

From the things you posted, it really does look like a vid card problem. Overheating causing the artifacts and visual glitches and when it can't take it anymore, it kills your power supply and shuts down the computer.

If you have another vid card available, swap them and play the game a couple of hours to see if it still does it. I suspect that your power suplly could also be the culprit, not sending the proper amperage at the right voltage to the GPU on the card.
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Sir-Die-a-lot is correct, your vid card is overheating. One thing to try to and help it out till ya can upgrade is to get a can of air and blow all the dust out of it. Make sure to take the time to get all around the vid card and the heatsink on it and the cpu. If that helps out a little then try leaving the cover off and put a small fan blowing on your vid card. I have used one of those little desk fans I think they are like a 6 inch fan or something like that and that had solved my prob till I could upgrade my vid card.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

This sounds like a problem I had years ago. I bought a brand new computer, top of the line, but when I would play a game it would lock/freeze after 2-3 mins. I took it back to the store 3-4 times until they figured out the clip on the side of the cpu fan was broken and not sitting properly. The fan was'nt cooling the cpu straight on and it would overheat and then shut down. So it does look like it could be a problem with your computer overheating.

Cheers,

.oO CowHide Oo.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]Kyle
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Kyle »

Oh yeah, overheating...
We had that problem with a schoolfriend's computer some time ago. According to her she got it some years ago and it seemed to go worse every year, shutting down regularily even at moderate workload and it's fan roaring like some old lawn mower. :lol: She told me about it while we were preparing for our final exams. And I was like: "Wait, did you ever open that thing?" Answer was: "err... no". So I asked her to get a screwdriver, a brush and a vacuum cleaner as soon as we had finished squeezing that biology stuff into our brains. We ended up sitting there for more than one and a half hour, disassembling and cleaning her musem piece. I never thought there could be so much dust inside one single computer. :shock: But it really helped, it almost ran like a new one after reassembling. Half a ton of dust less does make a difference obviously. A good occasion to explain some basic things to her anyway, and it was fun of course. I spent some more time kicking unused and old sofware out, doing updates, bringing some order to her HDD and such stuff. Guess this is how you make a girl happy these days...

So remember kids: Always keep your computer clean and tidy! :cool:

Kyle
"I divide the world into two kinds of people: those who like me - and those who can got to hell..."
[JiF]lini
Forum User

Post by [JiF]lini »

Yup, looks like it's either a driver/settings problem or the gpu overheating, probably the latter. Those blitter failures are pretty typical for that, whereas with overheating graphics memory you'd typically rather get white dots...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
[JiF]War Trophy
Forum User

Thanks for the input guys, I've taken some suggestions under advisement. I opened my pc, sucked and brushed all the dust and fluff out, re-arranged the wires for better airflow around the graphics card, I've backed up all my important files in case of catastrophic failure, and activated cooling software. I'm happy to say I'm seeing a lot less graphic glitches, and my pc is running between 5 and 7 degrees cooler (Celsius)! Thanks all!