woot new laptop ordered :)

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

woot new laptop ordered :)

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Check it out: Gateway P-7801u NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS

It's bigger and heavier than my current laptop, but not much. The best part is, work payed for it. Woohoo! Can't wait for it to arrive!

ImageImage
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Re: woot new laptop ordered :)

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

Sweet! DHS just ponied up for a Compaq 8510p for me... it runs BF42 exquisitely on the road with the right bandwidth (Hilton Hotels are the best!) It's like early Christmas right?! I KNOW!!!
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

haha..I didn't think about that...early xmas...but hell yeah! I'm using an HP zv6000 now, and it's pretty good but starting to die. Gets a lot hotter than it use to, fans grind at times, and it likes to freeze at random times for no apparent reason, even after OS reloads. 4 years out of a laptop isn't bad though! I've been trying to get a new one for a year now but I'm always given a hard time cause as they put it "you're always ordering some new tech" but it's never for 'MY USE' I say! lol...well finally it's my turn. :) I'm hoping I'll get it before my trip to MO next week, I'm sure it'll be fun carrying on the plane. :shock:

Maybe I can get 42 to work on it and play a little during lunch...my only worry is it has Vista on it, and evidently NVidia is lacking XP drivers for the video card. :/
ImageImage
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

I can't wait for in flight broadband.. then I'll have a few hours to play 42 while I'm in the air!
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

Hey Mike,

Nice Laptop - I'm soooo jealous.

The 9800M GTS should be capable of some reasonable gaming.

My new work laptop was a mere Dell Vostro 1700 with a 17" screen, two 250 GB 5400 HDD, 3 GB Ram and a 8600M GT

So Mike ya got me on most things, but my boss the managing director is a miserly meley mouthed SOB so that's my excuse.

Hang on thats's me, I am the MD - oh well...

hUTCHIE
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

I've already got a fairly new laptop that works alright with BF42. Now I just need a desktop to play BF2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 ;_;

I'm actually thinking of getting an Alienware desktop. From what I've read, it's well worth it for a almost-pure gaming computer.
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

Just say no to Vista (if you want to play BF42 on it)
I predicted Gateway was going to get bought out or die years ago. Thats why I have a financial advisor for my 401K :)
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Blind Trooper wrote:I've already got a fairly new laptop that works alright with BF42. Now I just need a desktop to play BF2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 ;_;

I'm actually thinking of getting an Alienware desktop. From what I've read, it's well worth it for a almost-pure gaming computer.
Don't buy an AlienWARE, they are incredibly overpriced, if you shop around you can get a higher spec Gaming macine for at least 20% less than a list price alienware.
you can even buy a box that looks just like the alienware one for cheap.
Don't be fooled by the marketing/branding axis of evil.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Arrived today! Damn is thing thing sexy...

After mesing around a lil with it I decided to use my Vista Ultimate upgrade I bought when Vista first came out. Home Premium just isn't gonna work in an office environment. I started the upgrade and since my upgrade disk was pre SP1 it told me to do a fresh install..ok I thought...here goes an hour and half. Less than 30 minutes later Vista was reinstalled fresh. :shock: I'm impressed so far, now to just download sp1 and all the drivers. 8)
ImageImage
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

[JiF]zougathefist wrote:
Blind Trooper wrote:I've already got a fairly new laptop that works alright with BF42. Now I just need a desktop to play BF2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 ;_;

Don't buy an AlienWARE, they are incredibly overpriced, if you shop around you can get a higher spec Gaming macine for at least 20% less than a list price alienware.
you can even buy a box that looks just like the alienware one for cheap.
Don't be fooled by the marketing/branding axis of evil.
Got any recommendations? I've shopped around, but everything I've found looks to be as expensive (if not more) then AlienWARE.
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]lini
Forum User

Post by [JiF]lini »

Looks like a pretty good modern notebook, Mike. Though the killer question for me would be: Does it have a glare type of display? I can't stand these - and unfortunately nice, gaming capable notebooks hardly come with matte displays anymore nowadays... :(

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I don't really now. glare hasn't been an issue yet. Installed CoD: WoW today, and it works great! So far I have been very very happy with this laptop. Suppose I should do some work on it at some point, but I am vacation now for the week. :twisted:
ImageImage