Punkbuster... or playerbuster to be more precise. :(

Speaks for itself
Shalghar
Forum User

Re: Punkbuster... or playerbuster to be more precise. :(

Post by Shalghar »

activity for application BF1942.EXE BF1942.EXE master.gamespy.com 28900 Outbound TCP
activity for application BF1942.EXE BF1942.EXE crl.microsoft.com HTTP Outbound TCP
activity for application BF1942.EXE BF1942.EXE crl.microsoft.com HTTP Outbound TCP

Since i did not update BF42 beyond 1.61b and all worked well before the last 2 "updates" of PB, it must be Playerbuster that intends to leak information.
Shalghar
Forum User

Re: Punkbuster... or playerbuster to be more precise. :(

Post by Shalghar »

Well i finally got to play as of yesterday again though my "solution" is a somehow... non standard one.
I excavated an old rack for removeable harddisks, discovered in my antique hardware while searching for my C64 serial cable. Then i took a small HDD (about 15 GB, single partition), installed Win2kSP4, oldest drivers only where standard windows stuff simply doesn´t work (for example Nvidia 77.1), killed the build in trojanstuff ("autoupdate", so to speak wuau.*) from disk and registry and installed only bf1942 and playerbuster.

It took some time (about five tries on different servers with different error messages and kick "reasons") until playerbuster rewarded my work but now it seems to run.

The downside of this "solution" is, that i have to power off and change the system HDD every time i want to play bf1942. So i will have to see if all this keeps working or if playerbuster still comes up with mysterious... whatevers.