Is there such a thing as cheating on BF1942?

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Is there such a thing as cheating on BF1942?

Post by [JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE »

I guess like most players I started online and thought that a significant number of players were cheating until I learnt a bit about aiming, leading & moving.

You know the sort of thing "I pumped a whole mag into that guy and he turned round and shot me with 3 bullets..."

Mostly the players I come up against who get the better of me a very high proportion of the time, you can tell are good. They aim for the head, lead the shots even when you are dodging, move randomly at short range and dive at long range. Also their tactics are good, they know the places where you are almost invisible on the map according to your uniform colour and scavange kit according to the threat.

However occasionally you get some odd behaviour. I was in a game with [Jif]Lonewolf-McQuade and we both thought something was a little suspect. I only actually saw it once as the guy shot me unseen 3 times before that (nothing unusual). This time the guy shot LWM and had his back to me (not moving side to side) so I pumped about 8 rounds into him. He then span round and immediately shot me and I have never seen anything quite like it. LWM got a reasonable view of what happened to me as he died. I have played before with this player and he is good - but not quite in the same class as say winky or Hoosier. I think we would have needed to play a few more rounds with him before I was convinced there was anything amiss which is why I don't mention his name.

Or is this just luck and skill. For instance I found myself cornered in my usual Bocage 'Church glitching spawn point' having taken out a couple of visitors already I was down to 6 bullets (yes I havent quite got the habit of scavenging yet!!). A jifer came up the stairs and dutifully pumped a mag into me (I was dodging though). During the split second when he realised I wasnt dead and his mag was spent I took him out with the remaining 6 bullets.

BTW - I found myself glitching unintentionally on Ohmaha as a tank squeezed me into the middle of a sandbag.
Image Try a drop of the hard stuff....
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Re: Is there such a thing as cheating on BF1942?

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I think I have heard something about an aimbot which does something like locking you on to a target. Am I right in this or is it a myth? I was shot by a chap last night in the Stalingrad CTF who certainly wasn't aiming straight at me, or was that just my machine running behind?
Why cheat? What is the satisfaction?
Anybody know what cheats people do & what to look out for?
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

It is usually the bots that cheat in that way.

Maybe that is a little unfair as they can't defend themselves. Well actually they can, too well in most cases, but you know what I mean.

I have lost count of the times I've been killed by a cheating bot who didnt even fire his bazooka but killed me with it, was pointing his gun in a completely different direction or in Husky is accurate to within 2 yds at 2 miles with a fletcher without a spotter over 2 hills. But the classic annoyance has to be mr one shot, pistol toting bot over 100 yds which happens too frequently for it to be luck.

I have heard of aimbot but I thought that the BF1942 patches and punkbuster mean it can't work.
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

I know there are some aimbots still floating around that claim to be 'PB proof', but I think the likelihood of that happening is rare. PB has gotten much better at detecting hacks, but every so often someone gets busted which means that they were trying, or that they made it a while before getting busted. CollectiveConspiracy caught a guy using an aimbot about 6 months ago and from what I read it was a pretty cut & dry case.

The incident that Hutchie and I experienced was unique for sure. I thought maybe it was my recent comcast connection issues, and that may have accounted for my experience with the player in question. But, like Hutchie said, when I watched the second kill I was amazed and confused. I can't explain it to be honest. I decided to watch the guy play from the team cam and after a few minutes of watching the player left. I did notice that his motion was very 'jerky' (single motion) and precise. Maybe he was a prolific player though?

I get frustrated from time to time, but I'm certain that most of my issues are my human error and comcast. (They claim to be upgrading local network infrastructure.)

I did catch a guy glitching on iwo jima. He was hiding inside a bunker wall and all you could see was the tip of his gun. He claimed ignorance and I let it slide with a warning. There are little goofy glitches in map structures, and mines and bridges and stuff like that too. But in the end it's all about trying to have some fun :)
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

To answer the topic, ask yourselves : 'Is there such a thing as cheating in real life ?' and you'll have your answer clear cut. Sadly, some people are not happy if they're not at the top, no matter how they get there. My only wonder is, what enjoyment can you get out of it that way, unless you take pleasure in other's misfortune.
[JiF]WinkyDeathKill
Forum User

Post by [JiF]WinkyDeathKill »

Awhile ago I was on our modified Berlin map and there was this one dude who was waxing all kinds of people and me with one shot. He had a score of something like 100 kills to 3 deaths, with a full house of players many of which were top notch. He left before the end of the game and I have never seen anyhing like that since. I have to think that there was some kind of cheat there so yes, there must be some cheats still out there.
The good news its rare and I have only seen that once here on JiF servers. To your other point, I have been called a cheater many times and I just laugh, since the only cheat I have is a lot of practice against much better players than me which of course makes you a better player in the end.

Waterboy is a confirmed cheater though so watch out for him. He may put lots of :-) in his conversations but I dont trust him..... neither should you!

The Winkster
The Winky
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]WinkyDeathKill wrote:... I have been called a cheater many times and I just laugh,...
Actually, if I remember correctly, they frequently call you a hacker, you've been accused of using exploits and glitches, of having no life, and of course many have questioned your manhood. Lots of people have suggested that you could only get married in Canada, Massachusetts or California and some have even suggested that you have a closer relationship with mothers then is considered healthy; but nobody has ever called you a cheater while I was on the server. If they had I would have kicked them immediately. I just don't tolerate that kind of trash talk. :wink:
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Sgt. hUTCHIE
Forum User

Ah yes Mister Winky. When I started playing online BF1942 he was the dude who you pumped two full mags into and he just jumped around with a silly satchel for a bit and shot you. I may of suspected him of cheating - but I never dared to say it to his face.

Seriously though I don't think I've ever come across cheating much on jif. I was with another player when we witnessed the Imo Jima wall hack on the bunker nearest the allied beach. We were both confused when we couldnt take the spawn point. But he had to come out eventualy with a bit of 'hUTCHIES helping hand'... :)

Waterboy is another matter, I believe him to be using the plane-aimbot hack, he doesn't usually waste bullets on hUTCHIE pond life!
I can't really beleive <sniff> we'll never see him again now he's got Vista.
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

[JiF]WinkyDeathKill wrote:Awhile ago I was on our modified Berlin map and there was this one dude who was waxing all kinds of people and me with one shot. He had a score of something like 100 kills to 3 deaths, with a full house of players many of which were top notch. He left before the end of the game and I have never seen anyhing like that since. I have to think that there was some kind of cheat there so yes, there must be some cheats still out there.
The good news its rare and I have only seen that once here on JiF servers. To your other point, I have been called a cheater many times and I just laugh, since the only cheat I have is a lot of practice against much better players than me which of course makes you a better player in the end.

Waterboy is a confirmed cheater though so watch out for him. He may put lots of :-) in his conversations but I dont trust him..... neither should you!

The Winkster

I think it was Tom and map was CTF score was like 117-7.
I remember everyone was wondering if the guy was a hack and he did leave before the game ended.
There were pictures taken and his were not able to take.

Found it!
In our Admin area under hacking. :o
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I remember Tom as well he was too good to be true.
On Iwo at the first bunker as you come up the hill (not the one with spawn point) if you run on top of the hill to roof of bunker and misjudge the jump you can get caught by a glitch and cannot escape, you have to suicide or get shot. but you don't go inside of wall.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

Even though I got Vista, I still visit the forums!! ;)

Ever hear of the saying, "can't hit the broadside of a barn with a 2-by-4"?

Well the answer is, "yes you can"... :)

Usually helps when you use tank shells and artillery from the boat as in my case (keeps YOUR death count down as well!).... :)

and the one thing I learned from Audie in my many years of playing this foolish game....nuthin overall beats the medpack in combo with the bunny hop!!!!

LT

(enough :)'s for ya Wink?)
KodeRed
New User

Post by KodeRed »

Most common cheats that are found out are aimbots and maphacks.. Aimbots are easier to find and maphacks are harder to detect. That is the guy who always seems to find you no matter where you are.. At Collective Conspiracy we kick for anyone who returns blank screenshots. When you take a screen shot via remote manager you can see either of these hacks on the cheaters screen of course. The only bad thing is, some people return blank screenies for completely innocent reasons. They then get kicked / banned through no fault of their own. In the interest of catching low life cheaters, it seems that some must be "thrown to the wolves" :)

Kode
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

I concur. There is also a cheap hack on line (for a hefty price tho)and it's a GUID generating hack, meaning that a guy can use it to go on servers and be a damn pest with TKing and general cheating with no fear of being caught rapidly. They do eventually get found out but it takes a while and they create havoc on their passage.

As I stated before, you have to be a real low life, or have no life whatsoever to take your only pleasure in the misfortune you cause to others and having to cheat to even achieve that !
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I want know once you've done the capture a screenshot thingy, how do you view it please?
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

[JiF]Lt Gav wrote:I want know once you've done the capture a screenshot thingy, how do you view it please?
You'll need ftp access to your server's file directory. Just like your '42 install on your machine, in the program files for the server install of '42 there is a folder for screenshots. You can view them from there using your web browser.
Soul is the ability to make others feel good about being alive, no matter what their condition.

xfire: amoralcenter