Hello JiF! Up for some games?

Would you like to have a match or scrim with us? We aren't a competition clan, but we do play well with others.
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Hello JiF! Up for some games?

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Howdy all,

Moral here just dropping by to announce that BFCL will be kicking off its summer 1942 5v5 Infantry Only competition at the very end of May/early June. We'd love to have JiF on board, should be fun season! If you are, here's Holden's pre-registration thread:

http://www.bfcl.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1565

Thanks guys,

AMC
Soul is the ability to make others feel good about being alive, no matter what their condition.

xfire: amoralcenter
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Re: Hello JiF! Up for some games?

Post by [JiF]corn »

I think i can manage this.
We need to assign someone as our Supreme Commander and Strategist on this.

:lol:
[JiF]Toriq
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Toriq »

It's all in the Jar. ;P
Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Well start scrapin' the bottom and slice the bread... our 5v5 is probably less than 3 weeks away!
Soul is the ability to make others feel good about being alive, no matter what their condition.

[JiF]LtComStarbuck
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtComStarbuck »

If I were to pick a team would be: Sly , WB, Corn, Lini and Alfred.

No offence to anyone else but there it is. Alternates, Gav, LW, Stinky (for any CTF)

If we need to use a bot of course Dale Gribble

Actually I think we have enough good players to field two teams. If there is interest enough in doing it.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." --AEImage
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

Just a heads up guys, if you want to partake in the 5v5, make sure you have a team of at least players registered. That way you are certain of having at least 5 available for each match. And if more show up, i know most team will oblige and field enough to match. Hexk, we playad some 8v8 matches at 12v12 or 5v5 at 10v10 !

It's easier to have guys sit out a round and listen to it on ts and play the second round than having to play at 4v5 because the team is too small. Albeit most teams will match down to numbers but they're not obligated.

Hope to frag it with you guys in this season's of BF1942 5v5.
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Hey fellas,

If your certain your up for some 5v5 action, post here to let Holden know you intend to register:

http://www.bfcl.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13604#13604

Registration is now open so you can go ahead and have your captain create a team:
http://www.bfcl.info/League/index.php?league=12

s/he will have to register on the competition system, create the JiF team, and then click on registration in the main menu above the player profile box to get'rdone. If you get stuck on something, let me know and I can help.

Hope you guys get in on the action!

AMC

Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

I'm registered and have been looking to get into this for a while. Keep me in mind.
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Registered on the forums? Or registered your team the 5v5?

Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Alright ladies and gents, jams and spreads

If JiF wants in on this someone is going post your intent on the league forums, and soon. Good Luck, hope to see you in the fray.

[JiF]WinkyDeathKill
Forum User

Post by [JiF]WinkyDeathKill »

Hey boys,
I have never done any offical matches and was wondering what us Jif'ers do to represent ourselves or our clan on these matches?
I'd like to gi it a go and see what its all about!
Took a look at cfcl but couldnt really find the info I was looking for-

Let me know
The Winky
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

What info you looking for Winky ?

Maybe I can help, I'm the BF2142 division manager at BFCL, so if you need info on the league, ask away. I know a few JiFers had registered and shown interest in the spring, but nothing ever came out of it.

If you prefer something less organized, there are always the ladders. We just re-opened the different ladders, especially the great BF1942 2v2 jeep racing, always a hoot !
[JiF]WinkyDeathKill
Forum User

Post by [JiF]WinkyDeathKill »

Well, die-a-lot,
I know nothing so not even sure where to begin...
Like I said, I have never done any league or match play ( after all these yeras too, although I have been asked inthe past....) and think it would be great to hook up as a replacement or DH if thats how you give it a shot. dont know what a ladder is outside of the one I use to clean the leaves from the gutters.
As a Jif member, would I have to play as the team or would I have to go in as an " alias".
I have lots of those you know......lol

Like any noob, I actually dont have any idea what to do on that side of things but feel I am at a point where I can face some of the better players out there and give them a run for their money. That sounds fun to me at the moment... maybe after getting waxed by superior skills repeatedly, I might change my tune a bit?

I dont know, I am a lost winky in the desert looking for a path..... a path to glory!

Let me know and thanks so far for the info.
The Winky
Rocket Surgery
Repeat Visitor

Post by Rocket Surgery »

Hey Winky,

That's some moxy! To answer your questions, leagues and ladders are generally meant for team play. There have been 1v1 this or that in the past but all in all, things like BFCL are meant for whole teams of players to join together and fight together against other teams. Now, some leagues pretty much allow players to do and join whatever team they want, regardless of whether or not they're members of the same clan or community. However, BFCL strives for more of a clan based concept. We actively discourage the idea of players acting as free agents, playing for whatever team will take them. In and of itself this seems harmless, but in our experience, it's a slippery slope towards teams using unscrupulous tactics to lure talent from one team to another. A vicious cycle of "dream teaming" occurs until enough egos are bruised and enough drama has occurred that no one is actually having any fun playing the game anymore.

So, if you'd like to play you'll just have to convince enough fellow Jif'ers to sign up with you. The number of teammates you need depends on the size of the competition you're interested in. For something like a 5v5 infantry competition like the one we announced a while back, a roster of at least 7-8 and preferably 10-12 would make sure that on any given match week you'd have 5 players able to get out their and kick some butt. We all have real lives and more important things to do so I discourage teams with just the minimum number of players from joining because it can put a strain on the team. We're all about having fun, not stressing out over who's gonna play this week and are we gonna have enough. It's rare to find 5 people who can play on any night of the week every week for 10-12 week season.

Ladder competitions are quite different. Ladders, like the one you use to clean gutters have rungs. The goal is defeat other teams in the competition to climb the rungs of the ladder and get to the top. Of course, once you're there, you have to try to stay there as long as you can. Unlike a League format, your opponents and maps etc. aren't assigned to you on a week to week basis. Instead, to play a match, your team has to challenge a team higher up on the ladder (usually teams are limited as to how high up they can challenge) or you may be challenged to defend your rung from a team below you. Ladders typically have settings about activity such as teams have to initiate a challenge at least once in 30 days or be inactivated and once challenged the defender has 48 hours to accept the challenge and choose a map etc. Again, at BFCL we have a rather laid back approach to ladders to that teams do not have to constantly attack or defend to stay active.

Both types have their pros and cons. Leagues are nice because they have a set beginning and ending and a lot of the negotiating (week to play, map to play) is done for you. But, it can be a grind playing in matches every week. Ladders allow teams to be more or less active pretty much as they wish (within limits) but the scheduling side of it is a bit more work and it's possible that an irregular schedule of matches can cause teams to lose momentum.

As far as playing in matches themselves and what it's like I can give you little info and some advice. Matches typically last around an 1hr to 1hr 30min. In the BFCL format, each team all get on one side, fight it out during a timed round, and the team with the most tickets at the end of the round wins the round. Switch sides and repeat. The team with the higher number of tickets after two rounds wins the match. We also have a few game play rules that try to take out the uglier side of gaming, such as nade spamming, attacking uncaps, etc. But that's basically it. Teams need a server they can use to password and play the matches on, the league provides a config file to import that will set all the knobs and buttons to where they should be. As for advice, the most important thing I can say about the difference between match play and pub play is that in matches you have to try to be more aware of what your teammates are doing and coordinate with them. It's much better to wait 10 seconds for your buddy to respawn and attack a flag together than try to Rambo it alone. Also, in matches a role player is just as important as a hero with a top score. The guy that mans an aa at a back base to limit the other teams' airpower but plays a whole match and gets 3 kills is just as important as the guy who was always on the attack and racked up the points like a maniac. Honestly, it's a whole side of gaming that IMO is really what it's about, and nothing beats the adrenaline rush of trying to hold onto a lead or make a comeback as the clock is winding down. Even when you come up short, it's still a fun night with computer games.

AMC