Another reason not to get BF2142

Topics about EA's Battlefield 2 game
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Hey Riot, you enjoying the game?
I'm curious to hear how it's going- especially the online experience.
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

I think its great, I was playing as a commander last night for a good 2 hours, definately better commanding in 2142 then 2. The thing that gets me is the upgrades. You have to waste upgrades u coulda used to try and get guns and such to get grenades, so u gotta think to yourself, do I need granades now or do I want to get a med kit. Overall I think its a really good game. Suez Canal is one of my favorite maps. I also like how when ur the commander you get to move the titans...I havent tried to collide it w/ the enemies though...that would be a catastrophic form of ramming, and my team would probably mutinize me for doing it.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

LOL
you could try it in single player mode.

My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow...
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Here is a forum thread about this and also a link to the Q&A about all of this.
http://forums.fevergaming.com/game-comm ... works.html
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Between the Junk Email, the junk snail mail, web ads, and tv commercials I believe I am exposed to more than enough ads during the day. The one place I really don't wanna see ads is a game I sit down to play. I do understand why they are doing this, money in their pockets, a captive audience that can't fast forward or block the ads, yet, and because they can. I don't see how it is helping me as a consumer which is the twist I keep seeing time and again when I read an article about this "feature." :?
ImageImage
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

A BF2142 screenshot!

[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

rofl, is that some kind of joke, where'd u get that screenshot???
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

AHAHHAHA, I just noticed the shall logos on the vehicles, thats great, kudos to the one who photoshoped it!
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

rIot wrote:rofl, is that some kind of joke, where'd u get that screenshot???
A buddy of mine got it and we captured that screenshot. The ad thing doesn't work very well ie the "Shell" ad since he doesn't drive a car. But he had been doing research on the internet about the drop in gas prices so maybe that had something to do with it. It's funny though, he just bought a Nokia phone online from Walmart and it was shipped UPS... scary!
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Get out, there's no way that's real.
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

haha, no, its not, the "Google" ad in the concrete barier gave it away for me. And what game maker is gunna stamp a "Shell" logo on the vehicle. Dont worry, I played the game for 3 1/2 hours last night...its not like that at all, I didn't even see any ads yet!
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

LOL
I said that tongue-in-cheek.
I make it a point not to believe anything Kelly says ;)
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

ooh, ok, rofl. Yeah, don't let these BF2 loyalists skew the perception of the how great BF2142 is. Sure, there isn't a huge progress in the graphics department, but let us take a gander at the one aspect that drives many to play games, this being the gameplay. What BF2142 does is introduce a whole new spectrum of gaming which the franchise has never delivered before. Who are you loyalists to say that this game lacks "fun"? It may be rather overpriced for what it is, but its something that should be given a chance. I know many movied that were critisized by professional critics that were in many cases an excellent movie. Fun is in the eyes of the player, my friends, and if we let these critics get to the minds of us gamers, haven't they taken away the essence of gaming that many of us hold dear? Are we to assume a game "sucks" because a person who plays WoW decided to try a 2142 demo didn't find it satisfatory? This game is revolutionary to the Battlefield franchise and many of us are trying to make it something that it is not. What is battlefield 2142? It is a different scenario of combat that provides us with new weapons, maps, and vehicles along with some extras. What Battlefield game diverges from that trend? And I say this to those who negatize the ads in the game: Don't drive down the street, for you will find ads on bilboards, don't browse the net, there will be ads littered throughout the websites, and dont read a magazine, because as difficult as it is to accept, there are ads in there too. From one nights experience, these "ads" put in the game do not cripple gameplay in the least. This game is all about fighting in the future. Tell me that there is to be no ads posted throughout public places then! If anything, these ads mimic reality, a characteristic that sells games. Before we slice this game like an onion on Emeril, let us step back and look at this game for what it is, not what unrealistic hype (found before the creation of any game) has tried to buy us to think. It is a game like any other, a game that should be given a chance...
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

rIot wrote:ooh, ok, rofl. Yeah, don't let these BF2 loyalists skew the perception of the how great BF2142 is. Sure, there isn't a huge progress in the graphics department, but let us take a gander at the one aspect that drives many to play games, this being the gameplay. What BF2142 does is introduce a whole new spectrum of gaming which the franchise has never delivered before. Who are you loyalists to say that this game lacks "fun"? It may be rather overpriced for what it is, but its something that should be given a chance. I know many movied that were critisized by professional critics that were in many cases an excellent movie. Fun is in the eyes of the player, my friends, and if we let these critics get to the minds of us gamers, haven't they taken away the essence of gaming that many of us hold dear? Are we to assume a game "sucks" because a person who plays WoW decided to try a 2142 demo didn't find it satisfatory? This game is revolutionary to the Battlefield franchise and many of us are trying to make it something that it is not. What is battlefield 2142? It is a different scenario of combat that provides us with new weapons, maps, and vehicles along with some extras. What Battlefield game diverges from that trend? And I say this to those who negatize the ads in the game: Don't drive down the street, for you will find ads on bilboards, don't browse the net, there will be ads littered throughout the websites, and dont read a magazine, because as difficult as it is to accept, there are ads in there too. From one nights experience, these "ads" put in the game do not cripple gameplay in the least. This game is all about fighting in the future. Tell me that there is to be no ads posted throughout public places then! If anything, these ads mimic reality, a characteristic that sells games. Before we slice this game like an onion on Emeril, let us step back and look at this game for what it is, not what unrealistic hype (found before the creation of any game) has tried to buy us to think. It is a game like any other, a game that should be given a chance...
When the ads do start showing up, what ad's are going to be relevent when you are playing a game set in the year 2142? Buy a "new" classic 2008 Ford Mustang GT in the year 2142? Or the latest and greatest 2006 Plasma TV in 2142? To paraphrase Mike, people want a release from all the ads we are exposed to in our day to day lives.

In addition they still scan your PC to find out where you've been, capture your IP address, and use that information. When I pick up a magazine and read through it, sure there are ads, but they don't know what magazine I read before it, or the last 10 magazines I read prior to that.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

You sunk my battleship.