Another reason not to get BF2142

Topics about EA's Battlefield 2 game
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Another reason not to get BF2142

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

I was on the fence, and they keep pushing me over...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4568
Electronic Arts today announced that Battlefield 2142 has shipped to retailers in North America and Europe for the PC. After ripping open the box, but before putting the disc into their systems, gamers may notice a slip of paper with a disclaimer written on it. CGW Podcast read the disclaimer on air, which we have transcribed below:

"The software may incorporate technology developed by IGA Worldwide, the advertising technology. The purpose of the advertising technology is to deliver in-game ads when you use the software while connected to the Internet. When you use the software while connected to the Internet, the advertising technology may record your IP address and other anonymous information. That advertising data is temporarily used by IGA to enable the presentation and measurement of in-game ads and other in-game object which are uploaded temporarily to the your PC or game console, and change during online gameplay. The advertising technology does not collect personal or identifiable information about you."

Essentially, the in-game advertisement system in Battlefield 2142 utilizes methods that most spyware use. By analyzing your computing and browsing habits, EA/IGA uses that data to provide targeted ads. It is unknown if spyware scanners detect and classify Battlefield 2142 as malicious.

EA announced in late August its agreement with IGA Worldwide to provide in-game advertising across a portfolio of games.

"Consumers are increasingly gaming in deep, virtual worlds and advertisers need adapted ways to reach these audiences," said Frank Sagnier, Vice President for Online and Strategic Relationships for EA in Europe. "The agreement with IGA is a first step in a detailed strategy to deliver advertising in a seamless format. We are continually looking at how to bring more connected experiences and services to consumers, and working with a network like IGA is a start to building this dimension of our business."

This is a radical shift from previous instances of in-game advertisements, where advertisers would purchase billboard space or product placement that would remain a part of the game forever. For example, Nivea is teaming up with UbiSoft to place its skin products and Philips Norelco shaving products in game-space bathrooms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Son of a bitch.
That makes me want to send it back as soon as it arrives. :evil:
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]Beej1024
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Beej1024 »

That seals it for me. No way I install it. There is prolly a rootkit in there somewhere too.
[JiF]Mentat
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Mentat »

EA Games, 3.1 Billionin sales last year. I don't think they need the advertising revenue.

In-Game Advertising (IGA)IGA Worldwide has created a diverse global computer video game media and advertising network. Our network encompasses multiple gaming platforms, including PC, console and mobile gaming, with opportunities for both static and dynamic advertising. With our industry-leading computer and video game expertise, we provide the tools and the technology as well as in-depth research and strategy to create and manage precise Ad Campaigns.

Our Dynamic In-Game Advertising Technology is a revolution for marketers and advertising professionals alike. For the first time, brands can place and exchange advertising within games on the fly, integrating In-Game Advertising with their real world ad campaigns.

With 70% of gamers saying that advertisements inside computer and video games help improve the realism of the gaming experience, an In-Game Advertising campaign is the ultimate opportunity to reach game playing consumers with an effective method that works. Gamers at play are operating at a much higher concentration level than someone who is passively watching television, glancing at a subway poster or flipping past a magazine ad.

With Sapphire & Diamond, IGA Worldwide unique technology solutions, we simultaneously maximize In-Game Advertising and Marketing ROI. IGA Worldwide dynamically serves a variety of advertising types across its versatile aggregated network of best-selling computer and video game titles. Our technology delivers measured results on consumer interaction with branded messaging.

At IGA Worldwide we live, breath and speak advertising - and we are passionate gamers. This enables us to develop our solutions precisely to the requirements of both the advertising and the gaming industry.

...but what about the gamers themselves?

I can see the rationale developing now, "If there are advertisements in the virtual world then we should be able to tax that virtual world."

Thousands of dollars are exchanged in virtual worlds and games, such as World of Warcraft and Second Life, and now the big question is whether it should be taxed. After launching a probe into many online games sporting virtual economies, the U.S. congressional committee is wondering if virtual assets and transactions should be taxed. Over $500,000 is exchanged in Linden Lab’s Second Life game each day, and now the US government wants to get their share of the virtual economy bubble.

Hmmmm, I bet Ted Stevens would introduce a bill called "The Tube Tax". :evil:
[JiF]Timmay!
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Timmay! »

If they made it so server owners & renters could rent out ad space in the game, I wouldn't object to this. IMO, that's actually a semi-decent idea...
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

Well boys...I have something installing this very minute on to my pc.....what could it be???? Ooooh, pretty much the best game in the world, sounds a little like Battlefield 2142! You guys are all haters!!!
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

We'll use rIot as our test subject- as soon as the pop-ups start shutting
down his 'puter we'll know not to play 2142!
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

I was going to try and get BF2142 next month but I think I'll pass on it for now.
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sly Gambit »

rIot wrote:Well boys...I have something installing this very minute on to my pc.....what could it be???? Ooooh, pretty much the best game in the world, sounds a little like Battlefield 2142! You guys are all haters!!!
Heh. Well just keep in mind the BF progression:

BF 1942 - Dice didn't get it right until patch 1.6
BFV - Dice never got it right
BF2 - Dice had it right at 1.2x, screwed it up in 1.3x, put it's userbase on hold for months in order to get a new map out for 1.4. I don't actually know if they got it right in 1.4 because I turned my computer off.

While I missed the first months of BF 42 I think the balancing act was great throughout BF42's life and while there were exploits they were pretty obvious and pretty easy to kick people using them. With BFV the balancing was terrible and their patches to correct the balancing failed miserably.

With BF2 not only was the balancing terrible - the list of exploits was a mile long (nade spamming, bunny hopping, sharp-shooter diving, etc) and patch after patch either failed to get rid of the exploits or made new exploits.

I have no hope that DICE/EA are going to care if the world of BF2142 is unbalanced. They'll probably put a patch out in days if their 'advertising' software doesn't work (though I'm confident that'll work great - they probably had their top coders on it) but they'll delay patches that fix exploits that unbalance the game for months while they get 'new content' out.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

If the advertisers are paying for it, shouldn't I get it for free :?:
Its kinda like buying t-shirts that say Coke on them. I won't buy one, but I will take it for free.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

The only thing better then 2142 right now is cinnomon toast crunch!
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]Sly Gambit wrote:
Heh. Well just keep in mind the BF progression:

BF 1942 - Dice didn't get it right until patch 1.6...
I believe it was actually 1.61b - but don't quote me.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

The agreement with IGA is a first step in a detailed strategy to deliver advertising in a seamless format. We are continually looking at how to bring more connected experiences and services to consumers, and working with a network like IGA is a start to building this dimension of our business.
:shock: How is adding ad placement a more connected experience to the consumer? Am I missing something here?
ImageImage
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

Where do they place these ads in the game? I havent encountered one yet...
[JiF]Mentat
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Mentat »