QuakeCon 2008

Want to get together to have some fun? No this is not a dating forum, but Lan Parties, Paintball, Cookouts, etc.
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

QuakeCon 2008

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

QuakeCon 2008: Returning to the Hilton Anatole in Dallas from July 31 – August 3.
I don't know if anyone considered attending this last year or wants to go to it in 2008 but here are some details:

For those of you who are not familiar with it (and what I have discovered):
  • - It is a trade show mixed with a very large LAN party and is 4 days long.
    - It is Thursday through Sunday.
    - 9,000 people are expected to attend QuakeCon 2008 with 3,200+ people bringing their computer for the LAN party (and you thought Nor'easter was big)
    - Massive prizes for tournament winners (10th place is $1,250, 1st is $25,000).
    - The registration cost is free.
    - You can't stay overnight within the event (I think).
    - You bring your own computer but if you are competing in a tournament you use their computers for the tournament.
    - There's enough free swag to swim in.
    - Your mind may explode.

The likeness of me going is undetermined because if I get an internship for the summer, I don't think they would appreciate me taking a couple days off to go to a gaming convention (unless I convince them to join me :D) but I'll definitely try. However, depending where I end up working, who knows.

Also, if enough interest is generated here, we could car pool down instead of flying down (and would convince me even more to go).

Flights round-trip (for students) is $373 leaving the 30th and returning the 4th. About $450 for the rest of you folk :D
Of course, car pooling would end up being significantly cheaper.

Just tossing the idea out to assess interest. Vokyous (the kid who went to Nor'easter last year) is up for it as well.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Re: QuakeCon 2008

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Way outta my league and I won't fly :D