The old "why do I suck so bad" thread

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

The old "why do I suck so bad" thread

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

The other night I had, for me, a typical BF1942 moment. I was coming up behind someone at medium range, emptied about a full clip of automatic weapon fire at him, then he turned around and killed me with what seemed like a single shot.

I seem to consistently lose these one-on-one gun battles, even if I get in the first lick. I once even lost to guy who killed me with a shot from a No. 4 rifle while leaping from a motorcylce, after I had already been shooting at him for several seconds.

What is this? Am I aiming wrong? Should I be firing in short bursts or single shots rather than using the full clip?

Part of me wants to believe it's a lag or cheating issue....but I know it isn't.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Re: The old "why do I suck so bad" thread

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Uncle Stinky wrote:The other night I had, for me, a typical BF1942 moment. I was coming up behind someone at medium range, emptied about a full clip of automatic weapon fire at him, then he turned around and killed me with what seemed like a single shot.

I seem to consistently lose these one-on-one gun battles, even if I get in the first lick. I once even lost to guy who killed me with a shot from a No. 4 rifle while leaping from a motorcylce, after I had already been shooting at him for several seconds.

What is this? Am I aiming wrong? Should I be firing in short bursts or single shots rather than using the full clip?

Part of me wants to believe it's a lag or cheating issue....but I know it isn't.
Try kneeling or going prone if you can. Short well aimed bursts can be better than just spraying a clip. Sometimes it is just the way the game is. It can be quite frustrating. I take comfort in the fact that I'm old and slow. Not sure what you can take comfort in. :D
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF][AARP]Grimp

Post by [JiF][AARP]Grimp »

Could be a FPS problem too. If your dropping a lot of video it can seem like someone is cheating. Any way thats what I use for an excuse :D
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

Both Tissue and Grimp are right and have pointed the main problem with how a winner is decided and another one dies. I might aso add, pratice makes perfect, pratice and practice. Heck, I've been playing this game for 3 years and still come out short in a lot of encounters (hence the name !).

Also make sure you didn't buy rubber bullets as they will only make your enemy laugh while you die empty of your own blood.
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sly Gambit »

I'm pretty good at those 1-on-1 encounters and will probably play a fair amount this week (taking a break from TF2). So after I kill you a couple dozen times I'll probably be able to help.

:D

PS. I highly recommend using the patented Waterboy Infantry Tactic otherwise known as making sure you're driving a tank and the other guy has a hand gun.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I have twice now pulled off the double-sow-tow maneuver of leaping in the air over a speeding jeep/motorcylce just about the run me down. Once, I even managed to plug the driver after I landed and spun around.

The kind of stuff that keeps bringing me back to the game. OK, just one more map.....
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

[JiF]Sly Gambit wrote:I'm pretty good at those 1-on-1 encounters and will probably play a fair amount this week (taking a break from TF2). So after I kill you a couple dozen times I'll probably be able to help.

:D

PS. I highly recommend using the patented Waterboy Infantry Tactic otherwise known as making sure you're driving a tank and the other guy has a hand gun.
You're just mad that I beat you to it all the time.... ;)

ps. I am a non-discrimantory killer.... by air, sea, or land..... :lol:

LT
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]LtWaterboy wrote:...
LT
... team ... :lol:
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger wrote:
[JiF]LtWaterboy wrote:...
LT
... team ... :lol:
I said it before....

"collateral damage"..... 8)

ps. it's like all those SciFi quotes...

Tip #69 - If Waterboy Is armed with a very large cannon....

DONT STAND IN HIS WAY!!!!!

:)

LT
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Ok. Played a little tonight and it mostly came back to me (I had a few too many TKs).

Best advice for the one-on-ones is that if you're a medic you can go with two approaches. The crouch and shoot or the zig-zag and shoot. Either way short bursts to keep your reticle close. Try to aim towards the head. Take longer bursts the closer they get to you.

I prefer the zig-zag where you go left and right fairly randomly while running up on the other guy. Keep your gun aimed high and don't stop moving. As you close in increase your rate of fire.

The crouch and shoot works better if you're an engy as he needs the 1-accurate head shot to really be effective.

Oh and ALWAYS reload after a fight. Chances are pretty slim you're going to get into 5 fights so you should make sure you're at 30 rounds before each one. If you're down around 22-25 I guess reloading is optional but when you look down and see you're under 20 you shoulda already hit reload. The last thing you want is to be able to shoot at someone 19 times while he gets to shoot at you 30.

Oh and if you see WB shoot him. Even if he's on your team. It makes you feel better. Honest.

Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF]Sly Gambit wrote: Oh and if you see WB shoot him. Even if he's on your team. It makes you feel better. Honest.

Hey, what's this ? Pick on canadians post ? Stay on topic you xenophobic menace ! :lol:
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

WB may be a burden on the health system and soon his currency may be worth more as insulation then as money - both great Canadian traditions - but I'm not sure if that makes him Canadian. Next time you see him in the game shoot him and see if he falls to the left.
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Sly Gambit
Forum User

Sir Die-a-lot wrote:Hey, what's this ? Pick on canadians post ? Stay on topic you xenophobic menace ! :lol:
Canadian? WB? Nah. He isn't THAT easy to kill.

[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger wrote:WB may be a burden on the health system and soon his currency may be worth more as insulation then as money - both great Canadian traditions - but I'm not sure if that makes him Canadian. Next time you see him in the game shoot him and see if he falls to the left.
LOL! Nah, if he was Canadian he'd still have all his parts waiting in the queue at the hospital. Badger is now starting his furnace using US dollars as kindling.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Sir Die,

When you see all these cheap shots at Waterboy, it can be summed up in one simple comment:

"Jealousy breeds contempt...."

;)

great posts, guys!! LMAO!!!!

LTWB