Shadowrun

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Shadowrun

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I heard an interview today with a top guy in the production of the game "Shadowrun" forget what his actual title is. I loved the original game but hadn't heard anything about the new one. I guess the ratings of the game have been pretty sub par, but that is only because the game includes a mere 9 maps, and is strictly multiplayer. It's late and I can't think of everything the guy said, but he made a really good argument for the game. The two people doing the interview (also reviewers who gave it a mediocre score) did admit the game was very innovative and fun and only gave it a mediocre score because of the 9 maps and no single player campaign. This was enough for me to run out and buy it...and wow....totally different from any other FPS I have played....and I have only done a little of the training! Oh..this game also supports cross platform play..XBox 360 players against Windows Vista players. :) So I bought both versions!

Since I can't embed anymore here is a link to trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTAEBu-sv0
ImageImage
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: Shadowrun

Post by [JiF]Mike »

If you haven't tried this game yet, and you have the ability too, it would be worth it. I played last night online and it was so much fun. I haven't felt like I did last night about a fps in a long time.
ImageImage
[JiF]Timmay!
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Timmay! »

Video looks pretty amazing but.. 360 and Vista only?

:(
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Vista only...
No Vista for me, I'll hold out as long as I can ;)
“If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,
a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested”
- Thomas Wolfe.
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

Bummer. It does look very cool, but I am not upgrading to Vista anytime soon.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I upgraded my desktop last night to Vista Ultimate, but I've been running Vista on my laptop for a few months now. Except for the price, I really like it and actually get annoyed with XP :). I knew I was going to upgrade at some point and this game pushed me over the top since my laptop can't run it.

Couple things about the game; there are 4 races each with distinct abilities. There is quite a variety of magic, tech, and weapons that can be purchased, however you can only have 3 magic/tech assigned at once, and I believe only 2 weapons. If you die, you lose your purchased weapon, and deaths are like they are in CS..no respawn. Although a teammate can rez you if they have purchased that magical ability, if said teammate dies..you start to "bleed out" and quickly die. :lol: You get the cash to buy stuff by playing. At the start of a match everyone starts with $2000. You get bonuses for doing certain things, teamwork..etc. At the end of each round you get more cash and so on. You do get heavily penalized for friendly fire at the end of the round...money is taken. The balance of the game is superb. Tonight I think we'll have the XBox and the PC going. :)

Another little jab in the ribs from MS is that the cross-platform play requires a Windows -LIVE account which is just like an XBox 360 Live account. Thankfully if you have an XBox 360 Live account already that can be used. Otherwise you have to again..shell out more money to the MS machine as this is a subscription account. :/
ImageImage
[JiF]Squeaky McSqueakums
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Squeaky McSqueakums »

[JiF]Stepovich wrote:Vista only...
No Vista for me, I'll hold out as long as I can ;)
Amen
That's right, these posts are the result of the dedicated work of me and a room full of monkeys working diligently on our typewriters.
[JiF]Timmay!
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Timmay! »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:Bummer. It does look very cool, but I am not upgrading to Vista anytime soon.
I heard a rumor that Shadowrun could be hacked somehow to make it work on XP..

Anybody know details on that?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Sorry, didn't see your message till today. :) I have read the same thing, but I can't remember where. The article mentioned all games that "require Vista" can be hacked in this way.
ImageImage
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Do a google search on it as I have seen the hacks for shadowrun and halo2 and a few others for XP. I don't have any of these games or hacks but have heard they work fine and it makes the game think its running on vista. I think it works similar to the compatibility deal in XP.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.