Christmas time, what console are you hoping to get?

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Christmas time, what console are you hoping to get?

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I got super lucky and scored an XBox One for Christmas. It now sits in my bedroom taunting me to open it every night.

I was wondering which, if any, you guys might be picking up for some under the tree fun come Christmas day. I picked the XBox One over the PS4 simply because it does more than just games. In my reading I've found the PS4 seems more geared tward the hardcore gamer. I am sadly not a hardcore gamer anymore, and I want all the extra stuff is does as well.

I got the new Lego Marvel Super Heroes for my son and I to play together. I want to grab Dead Rising 3 as well, hearing some good things about it. I plan to carefully open the box in the next few days to let it download the massive update it requires before Christmas. I will try to resist playing a game on it lol.
ImageImage
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: Christmas time, what console are you hoping to get?

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

My PS3 sits under the TV along with the Wii gathering dust. Well do play Blu-Rays on the PS3. With a 9 month old and my 3 year old, finding time to play is tough. Did get Mario cart for the Wii but my son hasn't quite figured out how to play it yet. He did manage to rip the top door off the Wii though. Haha

Needless to say, I'll probably be getting an XBox Three or the PS7 next...
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Daterminaytah
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Daterminaytah »

I wanna xbox 360 so I can put the gears of war 3 limited edition in my room with the 2 red controllers so the kids don't destroy it

lol Dater
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

If I had any time for gaming (have kids 6 and 1,5) I would probably wish for a PS3 to be able to play "The last of us" and GTA5.
Well well, dreaming is for free.
/rix
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I had planned to buy a PS4 for Christmas but the prudent side of my personality decided against it, especially as I have only logged about 200 hrs on my PS3 in 2013 (it is a familiar story: 3 year old and 3 month old) I did pick up BF4 for my PS3 so will play that

The 'good' news is that the PS3 (an original 2007 60Gb model) is starting to play silly buggers and freezes etc.. so when it packs in I will be able to justify a PS4 - hopefully in about 8 months when the price drops a bit (and the wife finishes Maternity so she can buy it with her first pay cheque

Rix - I got The Last of Us but have barely played it, I don't have the consistent access to get involved - it is more 30 mins here and there so I stick to the instant gratification of BF3 (now 4) - didn't buy GTA for the first time ever as I knew it would be a waste - might pick it up in a while when it is cheap so I don't feel so bad wasting the cash!
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]rix
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rix »

[JiF]zougathefist wrote:... it is more 30 mins here and there so I stick to the instant gratification of BF3 (now 4) - ...
I recognize the "time-sloted" free-time kind of life with small children in the family.
/rix
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

not a console, but want a desktop that never crashes to desktop when playin BF1942....does one exist??? ;)

LTWB

ps. good to see a KellysHero's post here!!! merry xmas, family man!!! :)
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

We've had the XBox One squarely positioned within our lives for about a week now. I thought I'd write a bit about our experience.

I'd like to start out with one of my favorite features "Xbox mute." This simple phrase makes commercials (while watching live TV) so much more tolerable! In fact one of my favorite aspects of the new console is the Kinect, while watching TV of all things. Yesterday morning I was laying in bed and heard my 8 year old son walk into the living room and do two things. First he said "Xbox on." This command turns on the TV, Receiver, DirecTV box, and of course the Xbox One. A few seconds later he said "Xbox watch Nickelodeon." I then heard the tell tale noise of some silly Nick show I'm sure he was excited to watch. NO remote was needed!

I can't help but wonder if the time of Star Trek is nearer than we think, but instead of saying "Computer" to get it's attention, we are saying "Xbox." I see a lot of possible expansion of this voice control, but as it stands now, it's just simply oozing fun and cool factor. I can't wait to see where they take it!

I've been rather disappointed with the game selection so far, but this doesn't surprise me. I have Killer Instinct (love this game!), Lego Marvel Super Heroes, and Dead Rising 3. Dead Rising 3 has had some great reviews, but my time has been limited with it. Lego is another great Lego game, highly recommend playing it if you get a chance.

One feature I can see a lot of use for in the future is the game DVR. The system records the last 5 minutes of gameplay whenever you are playing something. Below is an example of one of our first matches in KI. It wasn't a great fight or anything but I wanted to play with the video and see how it worked. All I did to get this was, again using voice commands, "Xbox record that." The Xbox saved a clip which I could then open in their Upload Studio and edit. Once finished editing the clip was saved to my Skydrive. I think I could have uploaded to Facbook or twitter as well but I wanted to put it on Youtube. Youtube upload has to be from a pc, but aside from getting off the couch it was painless. I'd be surprised if Youtube isn't integrated at some point, but I guess that would require M$ and Google to play nice...so who knows!

Overall I am very pleased with what I have seen so far. If your on the fence about PS4 or XBox One, as other reviewers have said, it comes down to your use. If all you want is a gaming console go for the PS4, but if the other features have any interest to you, you won't be disappointed with the XBox One. Even my wife likes it! lol
ImageImage