World of Tanks Free to play game.

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

World of Tanks Free to play game.

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I've heard of this game but it sounded dumb, generally hate mmo's so I thought it would suck.

Boy was I wrong. Started playing last weekend and you know those "2am games" back in the golden age of gaming when you keep saying to yourself, one more turn/battle? Ya its like that.

Here's the skinny:
You improve your tech trees/vehicle lines by country and type of unit:
light, med and hvy tanks, self propelled guns(spg's) aka Tank Destroyers, and Artillery.
ultra realistic tank sim
battles are 15 min timed but generally over in 7-10min.
you get 1 life, no respawning!
generally 15vs15.
each side is not a country but a collection of various contries tanks. IE each side has people playing german, brit, yank, sov, chinese, french tanks of ww2
as you improve a tank you can get better radios(spotting distance), treads/suspension(faster turn/carry weight), hulls(faster gun traverse, better hull armor), better guns(increase range of armor penatration values in millimeters, damage (yes pen and dmg are seperate but related things), etc...
your crew gains experience(driver, loader, gunner, commander - havent looked into these details).

I highly recommend it.

Think ARMA2 just tanks without the overcomplicated interface(but not simplistic!).

Right now I love my little T57 US prototype arty. Arty works as I always envisioned in a game - you have a top down view you mouse around on and as things get spotted you see them. Hitting a unit on the run takes skill, you still have to lead the target, just as if you were shooting a direct fire weapon.

Graphics are pretty darn good.

damage effects vary with the weapon specs vs armor(top, front, side, rear), the angle of the shot(angle of shot + slope of armor can just cause a richochete no matter the pen power of the gun from what I understand). I've had tracks damage(reduced turning rate) to blown off(imobilised). however your crew does stuff automatically like limited damage control(3 times now they replaced the damage track in battle and I was only imbobilised for 20-30 secs).

Im gib2012 in case you want to try it.

Try it!
[JiF]Navy_Seals
Forum User

Re: World of Tanks Free to play game.

Post by [JiF]Navy_Seals »

Lol been free to play ,I play it just like every other game when I get a chance

-- Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm --

They also have world of planes which is good
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

This is pretty cool for the game mechanics:

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mec ... rew_Damage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

Gave it a try yesterday & thought it was pretty good game.
Hey, free is free!
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Tough isn't it Major!? But fun! I like the one life, no respawn.

I also like how they model/influence your aim with the standard deviation of the shot based on the accuracy factor and how they properly and realistically model impact angle to your armor location and vary penetration and damage values by +25%/-25% of the listed penetration rating in mm of armor.

The game kind of reminds me of the tabletop miniatures game Striker for Traveler (original edition). Back in the day friends and I would try to go through the design rules and try different things. Very Grognerdy I know.

With the aiming circle getting smaller over the duration of your aim time adds excitement to the game - should i fire now or wait a few more tenths of a second to get a better chance of hitting...I once waited too long and boom my opponent shot before me and wrecked my tank.
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

There were all those games by Avalon Hill. I still have two of them. One is called Kreigspeil ant the other one was Blitzkreig. Awesome games back in the day. Just like playing chess but with armies. Blizkrieg was huge covering the whole kitchen table and would take the whole night to finish one game. I do like the idea of no respawn. :thumbup:
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Well, gib lured me into World of Tanks, and now I'm hooked. This game really is a blast to play, and we could use a few more Jiffers on TS with us to execute some good flanking and rush manuevers.

One tip - be wary of advancing down the French tank destroyer line. You'll end up with a big gun attached to a bathtub.
Attachments
s35 ca.jpg
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Yep I'm hooked too, been playing nearly all day today (well once I'd done my daily round of checking & applying for new vacancies)
My only problem is I don't want to spend any money on it at the moment so it is going to take an age to get all the upgrades & I can't buy the upgraded ammo either.
In other words the advantage in the game is with those willing to fork out money so not really strictly fair on those who want to play for free.
Still I do love the game & I'm still trying to learn that patience is a better weapon sometimes. :lol:
The other problem is that the servers are region based, so I am unable to play with my fellow Jiffers :sad:
Last edited by [JiF]Lt Gav on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Gav - check out this thread. It might be worth trying.

http://www.116thpanzer.com/forum/m/8360 ... orld-tanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and my handkle is Unclestinky1. I can't believe someone took the original name before I did. :shoot:
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Thanks Stinky

I'm in the process of downloading the North American Launcher which hopefully I can then use to play with you chaps. :viva:
I'm guessing I'm going to have to have a new user name & start all over again :sad:
I'll post new handle when I've set up
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Found some good info on this site, but what I really liked was the Lamer's Guide. It's hilarious. I especially liked the one about waiting until a teammate scoots out from behind cover to shoot, and then driving in behind them so they can't back up into cover again.

http://www.worldoftanksguide.com/guide- ... uide.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

oooh, good tips and tricks here!

Stinky, see #2, probably how they are seeing you and your not seeing them. Didnt know this one, will have to start using:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/201 ... -tips.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm --

I am going to try forming a Tank Company tonight. IF it requires us to have a clan created then maybe I could send gold to Stinky who also has a premium account and he could purchase the clan account? It wouldn't be right for me to register but I'd be willing to fund it for JiF so if that is ok or not let me know.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Game_Modes ... any_Battle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See you on the battlefield,
Gib :shoot:

-- Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 pm --
[JiF]Uncle Stinky wrote:Found some good info on this site, but what I really liked was the Lamer's Guide. It's hilarious. I especially liked the one about waiting until a teammate scoots out from behind cover to shoot, and then driving in behind them so they can't back up into cover again.

http://www.worldoftanksguide.com/guide- ... uide.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ya Gav!!! Lamer!

You know Somebody accused me of tk-ing Gav one map. Gave was right behind me..I mean RIGHT behind me. I hit the breaks to fire and Gav disapears....and I suddenly felt like I needed to take a dump...

:lol:
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Check out the specials for "Super Brawl" weekend.

Tankers!

Who cares about the Super Bowl when you've got the Super Brawl! This crazy series of in-game discounts and deals will last through the weekend. The Super Brawl will last from 03:30 PST (11:30 UTC) on February 1, 2013 to 03:00 PST (11:00 UTC) on February 4, 2013. Get ready to rumble!

100% Credit Increase for the Following Vehicles

IV PzKpfw III
VI T-150
VII PzKpfw VI Tiger (P)

70% Credit Increase for the Following Vehicles

V KV-1
V PzKpfw IV
V M4 Sherman

60% Credit Increase for the Following Vehicles

VI KV-2
VII IS

50% Credit Discount on the Following Vehicles

IV PzKpfw III
V KV-1
V PzKpfw IV
V M4 Sherman
VI T-150
VII IS
VI KV-2

50% Gold Discount on the Following Premium Tanks

V Ram II
V T14
V Matilda Black Prince

50% Credit Discount on Equipment

50% Gold Discount on Garage Slots

50% Gold Discount on Crew Training/Retraining

x3 Increase in Crew Experience

Discount on Premium Account Time
Three days for 300
[JiF]Gib
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Gib »

My best round so far. killed 8 and 6 medals. talk about luck!

-- Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm --

Interesting link here to calculate your efficiency rating:

http://wot-news.com/index.php/stat/calc/en/us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
shot_006.jpg
[JiF]Smuckers
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Smuckers »

I had fun, even though the beginner tanks dont actually do any damage. Like I tiold those guys its like shooting at a tank with a pellet gun.