Here comes Battlefield 3

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]phantomx
Forum User

Re: Here comes Battlefield 3

Post by [JiF]phantomx »

I haven't received anything yet either. Also the server (which I think might be available for the beta) is not open either for me to configure.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

New Nvidia Beta Drivers optimized for BF3 : http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nv ... 3-released
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

[JiF]CowHide wrote:New Nvidia Beta Drivers optimized for BF3 : http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nv ... 3-released
Yes there was a big problem for Nvidia users during the Alpha.
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

Just got access to the early BF3 beta... see you all on the battlefield!!

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Dear oh dear oh dear! :evil: :sad:
So the Beta has more bugs than the Alpha. This does not bode well for the game launch in a months time.
I really enjoyed the Alpha, but the glitching is so bad on this that I am wondering if I'll bother any more & just wait for the full game. :shoot: ;(
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

I agree Gav... ton of glitches but at least its stable, I haven't had any crashes or anything like that. So far, the only issues I've seen have been graphical bugs, lets hope they get those ironed out for the release.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Affraid that I have had 2 crashes out of server. Not as bad as the Alpha, I managed nearly 1 hour the 1st day before it crashed & yesterday was about 1 1/4 hours.

Just seen they have opened up the 2nd map Caspian Sea with jets & copters.
You need a password which is currently videokilledtheradiostar
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Hmmmm...I think they should have made this a closed beta. I don't think I'm going to pre-order this anymore. I might just wait til next year, that way all the kinks will work themselves out and I'll get a new cpu and vid card by then. This is insanely buggy even for a beta, the reason this has me worried is that in pretty much every recent interview with EA guys would say that the only thing left to do is polish it but they gotta lot of polishing to do in a month. I think if MW3 wasn't coming out they might of held it back a bit.

I expected glitches but not stuff like:

Constantly getting stuck in the ground in metro and having to suicide.

Putting down a med pack by a wall and the wall exploding (twice).

The vehicles in Caspian (only played for 10 min) flipping over on their own like they are doing handstands (floating in the air).

Small things like graphic glitches and stuff like not being able to jump over certain objects (which I found) I thought would be the main thing but stuff like this was not (I got some graphic glitches too). This stuff just seems like obvious stuff they would have noticed and done something about before they opened the beta. You have to wonder what's going to happen with the other maps that they didn't beta.

I just really wasn't that impressed with it. Metro ran fine with my setup but Caspian felt and looked kind of muddy. I also think this game is going to be filled with a lot of 12 - 15 yrs olds by the way the chat is going. (F. this F. that, N word etc.), they put more swearing in this than BC2 too (voice overs), which is not a huge deal but it makes me feel like the game thinks I'm 12 yrs old. I guess they have to do that for the COD players coming over to this.

Oh well, just my opinion. Maybe they'll do a good job with it before it releases and with the updates. Maybe I'll still pre order but right now I'm kinda on the fence.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

Downloading the beta now. Should be playing by 9PM EST.

Been waiting a long time for this. :)
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Have to agree Cowhide - I am really concerned at the amount of glitches and issues I experienced in only 2 hours of play yesterday:

At one point I spawned and had a 3rd person view of someone running about (took a minute to realise it was me!) and there was a weird Ghost gun floating in the middle left of the screen for about 5 minutes that was also mine.

The sound was a problem because my gun sounded like a ticker rather than a gun, every now and again the real sound would kick in but it never lasted long.
every 10 mins or so of play and the whole thing would freeze for about 10 seconds.

I was killed a few times by people lying prone and when it showed them they seemed to be embedded in the cover rather than lying on top/behind it

I threw a Med pack and died

I managed to get 'trapped' in the barriers on the Metro stage and had to suicide

Agree too about the number of kids playing and the fact that I could hear people talking who clearly weren't in my squad - Two really annoying teenagers who literally discussed every thing they were doing and every aspect of the gameplay and design - almost as though they were doing a review - I was glad when my squad mate lit on them and told them to STFU so they left.

I found the controls in the spawn screen kinda clunky and incoherent. (bearing in mind this is on PS3)
You push one button to Deploy, but if you go to the customise kit screen it is a different button, whilst if you go to customise weapon it is a different button again - then when you do press it, it asks if you are sure - very annoying.

I am not sure about the 'look' of the game either, the colour bias seems too blue and too bright, and the rendering is not quite what I expected based on the preview videos - though this could be a console thing.

I am pretty sure that these issues will be ironed out and that it will improve but like Cowhide I would have preferred a closed Beta with opportunities for genuine feedback rather than this glorified demo of an unfinished game.

I suspect that the first few weeks of playing are going to involve lengthy downloads and installing of updates - my prediction is 4 updates in the first 3 weeks - I'll offer a prize of 400 peanuts to whoever guesses right.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it has great potential. The unlock management is pretty confusing since it's hard to follow at first which guns go to what class / team and what the unlocks actually do. The battle log site summarizes this well though.

I didn't mind the bugs at all. I feel like they are issues they easily be able to fix, or maybe I'm just used to buggy software and like using it (I'm a QA Software Engineer :) ).

All in all, pretty fun.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

I played a bit more yesterday and like you Ry its growing on me. Still a bit buggy but I was thinking that this is probably not a big issue - it seems to me that if they were planning for a launch in a month they would be 95% finished at this stage - I expect that they already have the next verion in closed test internally and that the open beta is a) a way to generate publicity and b) an opportunity for people to inform them of any bugs they may have missed.
I am less worried that the final release version will have so many issues
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

They have already released a statement saying that the beta is actually old code and does not accurately reflect the current state of the game, here is a list of the changes we will see on Day 1 of the release:
Daniel Matros

A lot of what you are seeing in the BETA doesn't exist in the main game already. 1st Party submissions mean we couldn't give a version of the latest code in the BETA but the retail game is well ahead of what you are seeing now with a lot more bug fixes already in place.
And the latest entry in the Battlefield Blog:

DICE wrote:
This blog post is the first in a series of posts that will outline some of the changes we are making in the final game thanks to your feedback and participation in the Open Beta.

Come back regularly and stay tuned to the Battlelog forums and the News section in Battlelog for daily news and updates from DICE on how your playing the Open Beta is helping us make the final game better.

A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1
(Not a complete list – for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

Source: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlef ... ate-1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

I wish the browser window would blink when a message is received via the Battlelog. I've missed messages and game invites already and only noticed them way after they were sent even though I might've been using the computer at the time, some from Riceman.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

2 New Multiplayer maps:

Grand Bazaar

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Qe2sSSNhZs[/video]

Operation Firestorm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDgYNtQ ... r_embedded[/video]

-- Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 pm --

A-10 Thunderbolt

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8r8R4G8 ... r_embedded[/video]