Internet Explorer Problems

Speaks for itself
[JiF]Pvt. Harrick
Forum User

Internet Explorer Problems

Post by [JiF]Pvt. Harrick »

Okay, so when i got my computer back, everything worked fine, still had to get some downloads and such, but it worked fine. Then when i was looking for maps, my computer automatically downloaded a pop up kinda thing called registry reviver. I have no idea if it's got to do with any of my problems yet though. Then my computer automatically downloaded a security pop up called Antivirus8 and it has done nothing but mess me up. It popped up in the middle of my games and minimized windows and all sorts of crap. The only thing left for me to fix is to get Internet Explorer back and working properly. The Antivirus8 put it in some sort of SAFE MODE, where i cant get on the internet. Games work just fine, including steam and xfire. However it is extremely annoying to start up the old mac to post or check e-mail, or even do it on my ipod. I cant even download maps without the IE so does anyone have any tips, know how to disable safe mode, or has experienced this before? :shock: :(
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Re: Internet Explorer Problems

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Looks like you have Malware or something like it. Sometimes when you go to a website it will automatically download and it doesn't have to do with your Internet Explorer but it's a program that's on your computer now (like a virus). I think it puts your Anitvirus in safe mode to keep it from detecting it. Can't really give advice on how to get rid of it but be prepared for it to be a pain. Look for some forums on the internet on how to get rid of it.

Don't under any circumstances click and download that pop up for the anti-virus program!

Try to do a system restore from before it started acting up.

For info try doing a google search for : malware pop up virus
Last edited by [JiF]CowHide on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Badger can give you some good advice. Wait to see what he says. There are some good programs that might help. I like malwarebytes and spybot. If you know what you might have, google removing it. I just spent about three months fighting my PC virus and finally did a system restore to before I got the virus and that seemed to do the trick along with running some good malware removal programs.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Harrick you definitely have a virus/Malware - no question
Hopefully you already have some form of internet security (AVG/McAfee/Kapersky) here is what you need to do:

- Disconnect your computer from the internet (turn off the modem or unplug it from the wall)

- Open your antivirus software and in the settings make sure you set the preferences to Quarantine - most Malware is self installing and self replicating meaning when you delete it, it can recreate itself and reinfect your system

- Run a full scan - make sure you scan hidden and system folders

- Turn your computer off and back on once the scan is complete and re open your AV - go to the quarantine area and remove/clean up the infected files

- go to AVG and download the AV - it is free for a while then it asks you to pay but if you go to delete it then it allows you to activate the free version. AVG

- Get CCCleaner from CNET and install and run it to clean up the registry CCC

- Depending on the malware you have you might need one of these (full instructions are provided)
http://free.avg.com/us-en/virus-removal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- It may take a couple of times running the clean up tools to get rid of the problem - and when deleting it you should make sure you cannot connect to the internet as this type of infection can download itself as it is being deleted.

good luck with the clean up and ONLY click links on websites you trust!
like tissue said Spybot and Malwarebytes are good too (and free)
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

It's just spyware but it's a pain in the butt to remove. To remove it I created a bootable USB key with Hiren's BootCD 13.0 (see: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd ) from that I ran mini-windows then used mini-windows to launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (see: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php )then Spybot - Search & Destroy ( see: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html ) and finally any anti-virus program I have at hand.

I have had similar success just using safe mode (hit F8 during startup) and Identifying the start-up file (start>run Msconfig -> startup tab it's usually something cryptic like 124292.exe) disabling it then running my anti-spyware, anti-malware and anti-virus combo.

Oh, I found this, it might help as well. http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus8.html

Good luck
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Pvt. Harrick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Pvt. Harrick »

thanks for the help guys, its back and running! :viva: Now to downoad some BG42 :mrgreen:
and that article you posted in chat zouga, i think that was exactly my problem.
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."