Power supply down, need help.

Speaks for itself
[JiF]rix
Forum User

Power supply down, need help.

Post by [JiF]rix »

The PSU of my Compaq Presario 8000 has been degenerated lately causing the computer to not start up (and a flashing light/led on the PSU).
It's a Bestec model: ATX-250-12Z (Rev C).

Today I have 5 consumers with 4-pin Molex-connectors (2xDVD/CD + 2xHD + AGP-graphics card) and a connector to a disk-drive.

I think it would be nice to at least have >=300W since I have added one HD, upgraded graphics-card and added RAM compared to original configuration.

I have the PSU in peaces on my desk where I see one electrolyt capacitor looking a little "bulbed".
Myabe I can replace it but its a long-shot.

Thankful for advice if someone has knowledge experiencece of replacing or reparing PSUs.
/rix
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Re: Power supply down, need help.

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

Go with a Corsair PSU, seem to be the best out there.

If you're planning any significant upgrades, you'll probably
want to go > 600w
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Your best bet is to try and find a replacement. Most PSU's in consumer computers are powered just enough for what ships with the computer, so if you've added anything, you are starting to tax the system. Replacing the capacitor may help for a while, but eventually it'll probably go too. Plus by replacing the PSU you'll lessen the chance of hurting another component by having fluctuations in the voltage, etc..., and a replacement shouldn't be much more than $30.
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Lonewolf
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lonewolf »

Go with a new PSU but make sure it is for your PC. Some of the Compaq/HP, Gateways, Dells and other use a different pin placement on the 20/24 pin mobo plug. I just replaced a PSU on a Compaq last week but had to change some of the mobo plug pins around so they was in the correct place. Not all of them are like that but for a good while they done that so you had to buy the PSU from them instead of from a 3rd party.

I would go with a min of 600w and get a good one as the PSU is something you don't want to skimp on.
You must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise.