The Pacific (HBO)

A place to talk about any Non-Political topics that are on your mind. Keep it clean please.
[JiF]Trogdor
Forum User

Re: The Pacific (HBO)

Post by [JiF]Trogdor »

It's kind of a goofy parallel to draw, but the series seems to suffer the same problem as the Harry Potter movies - all based on excellent books (I haven't read the 2 books Pacific is based on) but in the adaptation, the writers tried to cram too much in and as a result timelines are severely compressed and boring parts or minor storylines are either underdeveloped or ignored altogether. Funny thing about those smaller storylines is that they are often there for a reason as they help paint the larger picture and give characters depth, likeability, etc.

I'm like Top - I'm dutifully watching the remainder…. and still hoping for some sort of miracle at the end to make it all worthwhile. But I've fallen asleep while watching this series 3 times…. during battles…. and I wasn't even that tired. Now that I think about it, that seems to say a lot.
Last edited by [JiF]Trogdor on Tue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

In no way can this series compare to BoB, but lets be fair haha. I've watched every episode thus far, and am quite satisfied with the series. If you would have asked me, after episode 5 or 6, I might have said something different, but I feel like the production has gotten increasingly better. I am a little disappointed, because I thought it would be better. But in the end it's not bad, not bad at all.
I'm working on solving the gas crisis.
[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

I bought Sledge's book and been comparing his stories with the ones in the mini-series. It's interesting what they change and the characters they alter for dramatic purposes. And while I preferred BoB...this is just under it, honestly. You may not get to know the characters as deeply as you do in BoB, but the overall plot is rather good, especially the very dark humor.

-- Thu May 13, 2010 3:45 am --

I bought Sledge's book and been comparing his stories with the ones in the mini-series. It's interesting what they change and the characters they alter for dramatic purposes. And while I preferred BoB...this is just under it, honestly. You may not get to know the characters as deeply as you do in BoB, but the overall plot is rather good, especially the very dark humor.
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM