EA's not a very nice company

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

EA's not a very nice company

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

Check this out and be prepared to get mad.

This doesn't really affect me personally but the fact that they're doing this is kinda lame.

Link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Re: EA's not a very nice company

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I've read that just about every development studio hates used game sales, we'll probably see more and more of this. The PC game market doesn't have this problem so it wouldn't surprise me if console games start to become more like pc games. I could see a Steam like system on consoles in the future where games are linked to your account. No used games sales there.
ImageImage
[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

I don't really think EA is evil for doing this. It makes economic sense for them, so why shouldn't they? If they get a huge backlash of people refusing to buy their games because of this, then I'm sure they'll withdraw it. But that won't happen.
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

From a business POV it makesgood sense, an extra $10 for each used game sale, but I dislike the idea intensely, its like the whole music file sharing thing
If I buy a poster and then let a friend take a picture of it, that is not copyright infringement unless he sells the picture
but if I buy a CD and let someone copy it, then we are both breaking the law???

Also gien that most people sell their games so they can buy a new one this seems counterproductive as people will be less inclined to buy used games, so the market will collapse and people will have less money to spend on new games...

Stick with the legacy games for a few more years yet then.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula

[JiF]Blind Trooper
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Blind Trooper »

This'll be interesting. I think while more companies get into this, you'll see more active work at ways to pirate the games for online use. They've already done it to C&C4. Even though the game requires you to be online to play, about a week after the game was out, pirates had a hack out that let you play whenever.

For every wall someone puts up, there will be those who wish to scale the wall and build rope ladders at the top for others...especially if that wall pisses a lot of people off...
"We are about to witness the inverse relationship between the number of answers you give me and the number of times I stab you." ~BM

[JiF]AlbieDamned
Forum User

Post by [JiF]AlbieDamned »

[JiF]Blind Trooper wrote:For every wall someone puts up, there will be those who wish to scale the wall and build rope ladders at the top for others...especially if that wall pisses a lot of people off...
Yes. And those of us in the software development profession call those people criminals.
[JiF]Stepovich
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Stepovich »

[JiF]AlbieDamned wrote:
[JiF]Blind Trooper wrote:For every wall someone puts up, there will be those who wish to scale the wall and build rope ladders at the top for others...especially if that wall pisses a lot of people off...
Yes. And those of us in the software development profession call those people criminals.
...and I call that avatar, "yum"