Tabula Rasa

A place to talk about games in general
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Tabula Rasa

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I picked this up over the weekend. It's a sci-fi MMORPG. At first I was not impressed, but it is growing on me. One of the reasons is that in many respects, it plays more like BF1942 than WoW. There is plenty of wild and wooly combat, and a growing number of options for dealing death.

I've now got a shotgun that, with my upgraded abilities, will "knock back" enemies 20% of the time. It's a riot to unload a point blank blast at 4 Thraxx soldiers and see 3 of them go flying 20 feet back in the air.

It remains to be seen whether it has staying power, but for now I'm hooked.

The only real down side so far is sluggish performance -- not sure if it's lag or memory, but I have to play at a lower res setting and I still get 6-8 second screen freeze ups every few minutes. I've had no problems at all playing other new games at high res, such as Hellgate or Bioshock.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: Tabula Rasa

Gamespy just gave it 4 out of 5 stars. From the intro to the review, sounds like they had the same impression as I did:

There's a small elevated ridge above the Concordia Divide Hydro Plant that overlooks the western side of the facility. The position is perfect for a sniper with a long-range rifle to take out targets with impunity. I discovered this place during one of the frequent Bane assaults on the facility when I found myself crouched on the ridge blasting Bane as quickly as possible yelling at my computer screen. There wasn't any thought of experience points or fulfilling quests. For a brief instant, one of the few I've ever experienced in an MMO, I was really in the moment, sucked into an alternate reality in a way usually only possible in first-person shooters. Welcome to Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa and while it's not without its problems, adrenaline junkies finally have their MMO.
[JiF]rIot
Forum User

Post by [JiF]rIot »

I have a friend that plays this and I received excellent reviews!
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

By the way, if any JiFs join TS, I'm on the US-East coast server. My character's name is Johnny Larue. I think I'll name my next clone Stinky Larue. The clone system is interesting -- the clone is at the same level as your main when you create him, but you can re-allocate all your ability points. Plus, all your characters keep the same last name, and can share the lockers that store equipment. So your main and clones can all share the loot, and your clones can try out new character classes without having to grind their way through the initial levels.
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

I have characters (11 * levels 8-18) on all US servers but been playing East Coast exclusively now. Sir name is Uberslacker. Have a level 18 and 15 character. Had some other ones but I've deleted them. Did not understand the cloneing process when starting out. Now I know why we get so many character slots. Working my level 18 character to be a guardian. My level 15 character is a crafter, going up the grenader line but really wont be much more than a soldier in combat.

If anyone planing on crafting or mod'n. Don't, least not right now. It is a pain. Items and schematics don't automaticaly stack thus filling up the inventory quickly. Some icons are not different from each other for all the componets. So you are left playing game of memory when trying to organize. If you are a medic and need supplies for the healing tool. I can hook you up. I have around 20K standar pharmicuticles lieing around.

Armor Tip. Only one skill point is needed for each armor type along the tier line to gain the advantages of additonal armor points. Additional skill points only improve the secondary properties of the armor but do not improve the amount of armor points. Armor points is determained only by the level of the armor worn. Additional skill points may be usefull later on after you have established your character in other skills.

Combat Tip. Look for weapons and armor you like to use to have +# Armor Regen modifier. On top of anything else this is key to combat survival. Though nothing can come even close to having a good sapper watching your back with armor repair tool.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Hey Pistol, my TR name is Larue, I'll add Uberslacker to my friends list. I'm also on the US East server.

Been mainly playing a Spec-Bitoech, now at lvl 26. One more level and I get some nasty injector guns (990+ damage, mainly bypassing armor). Plan to go Exobioligist at 30 to get the cloning ability. I'll ready a radial repair kit, clone, and then switch to weapons while the clone reacharges my armor.

Agree on the pain of not having stacking or sorting in inventory. I finally manually sorted all my components in the locker in alphabetical order, so they would be easier to add and stack. But my backpack regularly fills up, and sometimes I just dump the stuff to make room.

The game sure does get harder solo as you ramp up.
JPistol
Forum User

Post by JPistol »

Nice, level 26. If was not for the multiple characters. Think my main would of been up there too by now. Level 18 just started to run some of the instances. I still have not clone any thing and have 9 skill points in reserve for when I hit level 30. By then I'll have 15 skill points to dump into staffs. Least in saving my clones. When I reach level 30 or whatever. I'll be able clone new characters and start them out at the same level and not have to do the grind again.

Next patch will have a fix on the heath stats. Think the fix will increase the amount of heath points a person and or mob may have. As it is right now. Once an targets armor is out of the picture they are dead.

Solo is deffently something for sure in this game. I play on the far listed (low activity) of available servers when online. Less crowded and LESS COMPETITION for missions or just general exploring. Though in doing that one can get out number a lot by random mobs quickly. I've grown accustom to playing with attributes in the red all the time. Control points are crazy when you are the only one attacking or defending. No matter the level of the character it comes down to numbers...they have more.
[JiF]LtComStarbuck
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtComStarbuck »

This is Richard Garriott's new world. The creator of the Ultima series including UO.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." --AEImage