HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

Speaks for itself

HD DVD or Blu-Ray? What will you be buying, or already bought?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:24 pm

HD DVD
14%
Blu-Ray
No votes
I'm rich..I'll have both!!!
No votes
I'm holding off till the war is won.
86%

Total votes: 7

[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Re: HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Looks like Blu-Ray is pulling ahead. I thought the $99 HD-DVD players would usher in the end of the $499 Blu-ray player, but with 1.2 million PS3's (blu ray player) sold, Warner going Blu-ray, and it looks as if Paramount (who was backing HD-DVD) may go BR.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Paramou ... e10268.htm

"Paramount has clause to back-out of HD DVD support deal"
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Yes indeed...looks like the final nail in HD-DVD's coffin. Even MS has said a BR player addon for the XBox 360 isn't out of the question at this point. However they did admit that it would be a 3rd party addon. :)

If Paramount jumps to BR exclusively...HD-DVD is dead.
ImageImage
[JiF]KellysHero
Forum User

Post by [JiF]KellysHero »

Looks like Blu-Ray is going to take the lead. Both Netflix and Best Buy are dropping HD-DVD.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... ws-netflix
You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
[JiF]Buick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Buick »

Yes and HD-DVD players are dropping in price. XBOX has dropped the price of their HD-DVD player add-on from 180 to 130.
Reminds me when BetaMax lost the war with VHS and dropped the prices on all their players for clearance..... :lol:
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

The war is already over, hd-dvd is on its way out.
I'm working on solving the gas crisis.
[JiF]Rhykin
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]Rhykin »

[JiF]EveryAvenue wrote:The war is already over, hd-dvd is on its way out.
Will have to agree with you on that .. Blu-ray is gonna win the great race.

I like how in the beginning it was all about Blu-ray .. then HD-DVD took the clear lead .. then Blu-ray came out of no where again and is now winning again. :roll:
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7250068.stm

It was always going to be Blu-Ray, stands to reason, it's got a funkier name.
At least this is nearly over & done with & the consumer gets to make an informed decision, not just wet your finger stick it in the air & see which way the wind is blowing this week.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Over the last few weeks I had been thinking the war was nearly over. Then when I heard that Walmart last Friday said they would be carrying only Blu-ray in both Walmart and Sam's Club stores, I knew once and for all it was over. I'm just happy Toshiba has finally thrown the towel in and they are making plans to stop production of HD-DVD stuff.

So now the question is who's getting a Blu-Ray player with their tax refund? :)
ImageImage
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

[JiF]Mike wrote:Over the last few weeks I had been thinking the war was nearly over. Then when I heard that Walmart last Friday said they would be carrying only Blu-ray in both Walmart and Sam's Club stores, I knew once and for all it was over. I'm just happy Toshiba has finally thrown the towel in and they are making plans to stop production of HD-DVD stuff.

Or a Playstation 3 :D
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]Mike wrote:Over the last few weeks I had been thinking the war was nearly over. Then when I heard that Walmart last Friday said they would be carrying only Blu-ray in both Walmart and Sam's Club stores, I knew once and for all it was over. I'm just happy Toshiba has finally thrown the towel in and they are making plans to stop production of HD-DVD stuff.

What's a tax refund? :?
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Counting that economic stimulus package we are supposedly getting, I'm hoping for around $5700 this year. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

[JiF]Mike wrote:Counting that economic stimulus package we are supposedly getting, I'm hoping for around $5700 this year. :)
"economic stimulus package" ...damn I wish our government would screw up the economy too. :lol:
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

So I'm a Sellout!?!

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/02/18/toshiba.hddvd.ap/index.html

Ah, it looks like the rat race for high definition quality DVDs is wrapping up, and even though I feel like a whore for waiting until the $100 price drop to buy my 80GB Sony PS3 w/ BluRay, I'm a well entertained whore with a surprisingly sharp picture on my 65" television! I can't help but giggle at the thought of all those XBox-ers who were planning to add that external HDVD player to their systems. People were counting them out, but Sony pulled off an upset and managed to leave ol' Microsoft holding the bag. That's + Karma for Sony in my book. I'm sure they'll get bank on the negotiations when Toshiba and Microsoft come to play, and it won't make the PS3 price cuts hurt quite so bad. Not to gloat too much the xbox is formidable, but the PS3 looks oh so nice on an entertainment shelf and it does a lot more for the money! If you picked sony on this one.. being a sellout never felt so good! ;D

PS: don't pay $$bux$$ for that Blu-Ray player when a PS3 is cheaper and does more!
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I won't be buying a PS3 not completely because I think the XBox 360 is better...I simply do not need another game system in the house! :) NewEgg.com has a Blu-Ray drive for $180. I think I will put one of those into my HTPC one day as the prices come down. I did hear MS say something about supporting an external Blu-Ray drive for the XBox sorta like the HD-DVD, but that it would be a 3rd party addon. I found that statement pretty funny. :lol:
ImageImage
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

[JiF]Mike wrote:I won't be buying a PS3 not completely because I think the XBox 360 is better...I simply do not need another game system in the house! :) NewEgg.com has a Blu-Ray drive for $180. I think I will put one of those into my HTPC one day as the prices come down. I did hear MS say something about supporting an external Blu-Ray drive for the XBox sorta like the HD-DVD, but that it would be a 3rd party addon. I found that statement pretty funny. :lol:
I actually had a ps3, and sold it to buy a xbox 360 when halo 3 came out, so I agree. I just can't see myself dropping all that money on a blu-ray player, and not getting a ps3. To be honest I probally won't buy either for quite some time anyway.