PB problems

Topics about EA's Battlefield 1942 game
[JiF]Batman
Forum User

PB problems

Post by [JiF]Batman »

I can't seem to get my punkbuster updated.

I tried downloading it to the specified folder and I tried the PBsetup and i still get kicked.

Anybody have instructions in little words that I would understand? Not sure what my problem is.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Re: PB problems

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Google PB and vista. Some people have had problems they had to work around. I don't know what they have had to do.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger
Forum User

Post by [JiF]ALargeWoodenBadger »

The message kept referring to PnkBstA.exe. I had trouble with that and my AVG antispy program.

This will launch a test of the Punkbuster service:
http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe
"Oh god, I've never been so happy to be beaten up by a woman"
Captain Zapp Brannigan
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

When you installed it, did you also go into the screen where you select the games that need to be updated?
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

A quick question, has this started to happen after the new PB update for BF1942 ? If so, you are probably suffering (or your system) from the same ailment I did. I kept being kicked after logging in for ''Service abnormalty''.

If you are running Vista and PBsetup and PBsvc, all you have to do is to set your BF1942 and PB application to run in Windows XP service pack 2 compatibilty mode. To do so, right click on the BF1942 icon on your desktop, select compatibility and choose in the menu ''Windows XP service pack 2'' compatibility mode.

That's all that is needed.

If you still have problems after that, readcarfully what the PB message is when you get kicked and post it here. I'll see if I can help.
[JiF]Batman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Batman »

Actually seems to be working now...hopefully it stays that way.

The XP compatability mode is good to know

Thanks all
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

From what I've seen the majority of the PB related issues have come down to these common problems:

1- Firewall :You may have to reconfig your fw to allow PnkBstA.exe & PnkBstB.exe to access the network/internet (don't worry it's just a loopback anyhow, big brother isn't watching!)

2- Update to the update: Some people didn't reallize that PB updated again after the last update several weeks ago.

3- PB Security file: Proper placement of the PB security file has been an issue for a few people too.. You will need to DL this file "pbsec.htm" and save it under your pb\htm folder for bf1942 (some folks weren't getting that file, which can cause problems.) it's at http://www.evenbalance.com

4- AV software: I'd heard some rumblings about AV software problems on install. I STRONGLY suggest that you turn off all unnecessary services, and programs while running the update program. That includes temporarily disabling your AV!

5- Vista:
<Sir Die-a-lot> If you are running Vista and PBsetup and PBsvc, all you have to do is to set your BF1942 and PB application to run in Windows XP service pack 2 compatibilty mode. To do so, right click on the BF1942 icon on your desktop, select compatibility and choose in the menu ''Windows XP service pack 2'' compatibility mode.
Happy Fragging!
[JiF]Beej1024
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Beej1024 »

Ok, I am really trying to get back to playing... I installed BF1942 on my Vista PC, I have it set to run in XPSP2 Compat mode, but yet I still get this:

I have run pbsvc.exe, and it completes with no errors, I go into services and fin pnkbstrA.exe is running, and B is in automatic, but not running (even if I start it manually I still get tossed). I do not have my firewall on as I am behind a Sonicwall Pro 3060 already.

UPDATE.... I remove the IPS, Gateway Av, and Spyware protection for my PC's IP from my Sonicwall, now I get in the game, and then in about 1 min get disconnected with no reason. I have the latest PB files, so I am at a complete loss.

KILLING ME HERE!!!

Beej
[JiF]LtWaterboy
Forum User

Post by [JiF]LtWaterboy »

Beej,

did you read the above comments??

Think it might help.

LT
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF]Beej1024 wrote:Ok, I am really trying to get back to playing... I installed BF1942 on my Vista PC, I have it set to run in XPSP2 Compat mode, but yet I still get this:
I have run pbsvc.exe, and it completes with no errors, I go into services and fin pnkbstrA.exe is running, and B is in automatic, but not running (even if I start it manually I still get tossed). I do not have my firewall on as I am behind a Sonicwall Pro 3060 already.

UPDATE.... I remove the IPS, Gateway Av, and Spyware protection for my PC's IP from my Sonicwall, now I get in the game, and then in about 1 min get disconnected with no reason. I have the latest PB files, so I am at a complete loss.

KILLING ME HERE!!!
Beej
Did you also install and run PBsetup ? It will garantee that you have the latest versions of all the PB files and services required for the games that you have installed and that use PB. Set it up to run in XPSP2 Compat mode as well and as an administrator.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

Don't forget to select the games you play when you run PBsetup.
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Beej1024
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Beej1024 »

After fighting for several hours I was able to get it to run. The problem seemed to come from my running the PBsetup files while logged in as me (network admin), when in Vista I chose to run the program in "administrator mode", it seems to have installed properly this time. Thanks for all the input, hope to see you online soon!

B
Lonewolf-McQuade
Forum User

Post by Lonewolf-McQuade »

Awesome I'm glad we got that sorted out.. that was a lot of head scratching! See you in the battlefield!
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF]Lonewolf-McQuade wrote:.. that was a lot of head scratching! !
Look ma', no hair !
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF]Lonewolf-McQuade wrote:.. that was a lot of head scratching! !
Look Ma', no more hair !