JiF Philosophy and History:

Here are our simple rules.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

JiF Philosophy and History:

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

I decided to write this so we all understand how JiF came about and what the Founders believed in. It may be overstating to say JiF is unique in the gaming world, but I think it is fair to say that it is a wonderful alternative to what I view as ‘clan’ gaming. One aspect of JiF that I always loved is that we are a community first united by a love of online gaming. We believe in good sportsmanship both within the community and to the guests on our server so much that we treat our guests JUST LIKE we treat fellow JiF’ers. We want gaming to be fair and fun for all who play on our server. So we do things differently than a lot of other servers.

1. We are the first to move to the side that needs an extra player or two even if they are getting clobbered. Personally, I feel you get the greatest growth when you have to play against long odds.
2. We try not to stack the deck by putting all the JiF’ers on one team, especially if that means we are dominating on the server. We want both sides to have a fun experience. Losing every round is not fun and people will leave. If the ‘deck is stacked’, but it is an even experience, then life is good.
3. We treat our guests like we want to be treated. I’ve often had to sit in line and wait my turn to get on a JiF server because we valued our guests so much that we would not kick them just to make room for a JiF’er. If someone is AFK or a dork, yes you can kick them to make room for a JiF’er, but we have not kicked people just because we needed room. We wait because we want our guests to have a great gaming experience on our server.
4. We relish being on the ‘other side’ and taking out a fellow JiF’er. We love it when someone makes a particularly great move and takes us out because we love the game more than we love winning.
5. We keep our rules to a minimum and trust our admins to make the right decision based on circumstances versus rigid rules. The first rule is to keep the game fun for all. We use a ‘warn/kick/ban’ protocol normally, but I’ve kicked whole clans without any explanation just to get the server under control. It’s rare, but we know our admins have the maturity to react as needed. We allow ‘spawn camping’ as long as it doesn’t ruin the round. We expect JiF’ers to back off and let the game flow resume if needed because we trust JiF’er judgement.
6. We may question an admin’s decision to understand why they did what they did, but we don’t second guess. It is an exercise in learning for all the admins.
7. We have a leadership structure, but it is as hands off as we can keep it. We believe in situational leadership. Simply put, any JiF’er can lead whenever they want to. This can be organizing a team for a tournament or match. It can be organizing a football pool. Whenever anyone wants to step up and lead, we encourage them to do so.
8. We are slow to issue invites because we want to get to know people before we let them in The Jar. We’ve had to ask maybe three people to leave since I’ve been around. That is less than one per year. Every time it has been a very painful exercise because we value our members so much we want them to stay.
9. Once a JiF’er always a JiF’er (unless asked to leave). You can stay as long as you like. You can leave for years and stop by to start playing again. You can stop by and just say ‘hi’. We will welcome you with open arms like you have never left and take great joy in knifing you in the back the first chance we get. Look at the list of JiF’ers in The Jar. It is a long list many of whom I do not know, but would love to see stop by.

JiF started with five friends working at the same company who played games on ‘the server that did not exist’ during lunch (it was kept in a closet at work). Then they added people that they could touch meaning people they knew living in Massachusetts. Now we have an international community of like-minded individuals. Most of the founders no longer play on JiF servers, but when I get up to Massachusetts for the annual “Lunch with Tissue” there are often 2-3 of them there. This is how much JiF means to them. I’ve hung around even though I took about a 2 year hiatus from playing just because this is a great place. Thanks to all of you for making this a great community.

Tissue
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Re: JiF Philosophy and History:

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Some very timely reminders - thanks for posting.
[JiF]Sgt Shellshocked
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Sgt Shellshocked »

Spot on Tissue , you nailed it !

:)
[JiF]major confusion
Forum User

Post by [JiF]major confusion »

Makes you proud to be called a "JiF'er ;(
"You can't say civilization isn't advancing; in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198080391609.']Image[/url]
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

Right on Tissue :thumbup:

And like Major said, I also am PROUD to be a member of JiF :thumbup:
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

Thanks Tissue

It was great last night to have so many of us old & 'new' playing together on our own server.
It really is a good time when we are joking & having fun on TS. To me that is the epitome of what this group is all about. A group of gamers just playing a game together & having some fun doing it. We 'josh' each other about things that happen & laugh at it. Long may that continue.
I don't mind that Doc has shot me in the back for the umpteenth time, that's the game, I may express my disappointment, but still I play in the hope that one time he might see my face & I kill him. BUT still we talk & laugh at it. It's a shame that all players can't see it as just a game for a bit of fun & have to get personal with it. Just accept that don't rise to it & play, play, play & play on.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

We need a like button. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]Alfred Neumann
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Alfred Neumann »

[JiF]Mike wrote:We need a like button.
100%
Sometimes you lose and sometimes win the others
[JiF]EA
JiF Member

Post by [JiF]EA »

I've been a apart of JiF since I was a freshman in high school. I was just a kid... probably 15 years old. I am now 23. Here's to 8 awesome years of JiF gaming, and many more to come...
I'm working on solving the gas crisis.
[JiF][AARP]Tissueman

Post by [JiF][AARP]Tissueman »

[JiF]EA wrote:I've been a apart of JiF since I was a freshman in high school. I was just a kid... probably 15 years old. I am now 23. Here's to 8 awesome years of JiF gaming, and many more to come...
This is what JiF is about. A place for all ages to come together and have a great gaming experience. I tried a lot of BF1942 servers before I found one that felt like home. It's been fun watching the 'kids' grow up. Right now the youngest regular player we have is Minibadger at 10 years. I may be the oldest at 62. That is a 50 year spread. Where else can you find such a large age spread having so much fun together?
Ensuring the security of Western Democracy through superior tissue products.
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

I can not believe I have been here for two years. Seems like yesterday that Afro and Kyle put me up for a vote.
Since then I have spent many hours on TS getting to know some of the greatest people from around the world. There have been more times than I can count that someone has asked me why I am just sitting in a game doing nothing! Each and every time I have to admit I lost track of what I was doing because of talking with someone on TS. To me, the games are fun but the people are what keeps me here and coming back.
I have "family" that I met while I was in the Navy, just as I have "family" here that I have made over the last couple years.
There are some truely incredible people in the JiF family and I have been very blessed to be able to get to know them.
Here is to all of you! :pada:
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

Right on Tissue.

I would like to further add that if anyone is NOT having fun in a particular round then remember to speak up and say something right then and there so the teams can get fixed.

I say this because I someone quit in frustration because of a round where the skill stack was causeing them not to have fun. Don't quit in frustration, bring it to everyones attention so team balance issues can be taken care of. For example, directly ask me or Doc or Gav or whoever if they would please switch over to balance the skills across the teams. Oh and if I don't hear you, I am hard of hearing(50% loss in left ear), so pretend Im next to a 105 Howitzer going off and make sure I hear you.... if you ask, ask loud! :)

We want everyone to have as much fun as they can but it can't be fixed if you just leave and don't ask that the teams get evened up ;)
Last edited by [JiF]Gib on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Should we move this thread to a public forum? Might be good for all visitors to see. :)
ImageImage
[JiF]BloodGod
Forum User

Post by [JiF]BloodGod »

I think we should :thumbup:
We all have our time to die.....yours just happens to be now

[JiF]Brick
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Brick »

[JiF]Mike wrote:Should we move this thread to a public forum? Might be good for all visitors to see. :)
Yep.

Good reminder, thanks Tissue!