battlefield 3

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Server
[JiF]ilw
Game Admin

battlefield 3

Post by [JiF]ilw »

How many players here think they will be playing it? Can someone give an idea what a 32 player server would cost monthly?
thanks
[JiF]Gib

Re: battlefield 3

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I'll be playing.
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I've got it pre-ordered & having done the Alpha trial I'm looking forward to it.
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

I would like to get the game but if i get stuttering and lag issues like on BC2 then it wouldn't be worth it.
What would make BF3 any better than BFBC2?
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

[JiF]corn wrote:I would like to get the game but if i get stuttering and lag issues like on BC2 then it wouldn't be worth it.
Have you thought about re-installing windows and drivers? Maybe there are some left over bits of your previous drivers still in there or something else conflicting with the game. I think I have the same card as you or equivalent (GTX 460) and I have a duo core while you have a quad which should run better than mine. I don't have any issues with lag on BC2 only a little bit at the beginning of the map sometimes for maybe 5 - 10 seconds then it's fine (vietnam expansion I have pretty much no lag at all). Maybe something in your case is overheating like the cpu. I know people have had problems with punkbuster over the past few months which recently updated about a week ago so you might want to try and manually update it to see if it makes it any better.

EA/Dice said that if BC2 runs fine on your computer then BF3 should run fine too as long as you have a quad. The new engine for BF3 should be optimized better then the BC2 engine as well. Try the beta in september and take it from there.

I think there's going to be an open beta in september so you can try it then. It should be more optimized than the Alpha and you can gauge it from there whether you can play it or not.
Last edited by [JiF]CowHide on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]corn
Forum User

Post by [JiF]corn »

My lag dropped a lot when i installed the quad core.
My biggest problems seem to be on rush maps and within the first 30 seconds of a new map.
I do get the occasional lag when i am in the middle of a lot of explosions.
When i defend an Mcom and someone sets it i get freeze and stutter long enough to get killed.
I stopped defending mcoms on rush maps, at least up close.
BC2 is the only game i have that has these issues.

Nothing more frustrating when you sneak up behind somebody to stab and a lag spike causes you to lunge past the target and get killed. :(
Gnome-father
Forum User

Post by Gnome-father »

[JiF]corn wrote:I would like to get the game but if i get stuttering and lag issues like on BC2 then it wouldn't be worth it.
BF3 is going to be better optimized than BC2.
[JiF]Smuckers
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Smuckers »

I am on the fence with this one. I have ordered stuff from EA before on their dl site. It was just for exspantion packs and had problems using them. I don't want to buy this in a store because Steam has spoiled me about not needing my cd's any more. I have even bought older games that I already own with Steam just to get away from the cd issue. I hate to say this, but Steam has turned out to be a great platform to buy and use games. I think I'll wait and see waht happens with this one.
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

I will deffinetly be getting this one, but I will wait for it to show up on steam. I cant image EA not putting it on there even though they are trying to push their own game service. The alpha was impressive, altough the game looks similar to bc2 it deffinetly has a different feel.

As for server prices, usually its $1.00 per player slot and popular games could be more than $1 up to $2. So it will be pricey to run a 64 player server.
[JiF]CowHide
Forum User

Post by [JiF]CowHide »

If your birthday is between now and Oct 25 you can get a 25% discount for BF3:

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/3118 ... birthdays/

EDIT: so I just talked to a Origin Rep (Live chat) because I was adding BFBC2 on my origin account. They will do that if you have it on steam for free but as of now you can't connect the Vietnam expansion unless you buy it on origin. But anyway, I asked about this discount and she said that it was a random email so a person may or may not get it on their birthday. Just FYI....
Last edited by [JiF]CowHide on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"Moo Sarge, I said Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!"
[JiF]zougathefist
Forum User

Post by [JiF]zougathefist »

Interesting Cowhide - but as Gav will testify EA send out £10 gift vouchers to registered users in the UK on their birthdays anyway that are valid for a year - sincve the game is likely to be £39.99 that is the same as a 25% discount without having to get it from Origin.
He who fights with Monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you
-Nietzsche

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal!
-Tolstoy

Oderint Dum Metuant
-Caligula