32 Player Rush Server

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Server
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

32 Player Rush Server

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Last night we got up to 16 players for a bit. I really can't imagine having twice that number! What do you guys think about lowering the max players to 24 or even 20? I think someone mentioned their pc wouldn't handle 32, and I may be in the same boat. Let me know what ya think.
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib

Re: 32 Player Rush Server

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I love 32 as historically on 42' that's always been the sweet spot. If folks actually are getting lag if we start to get full from a 32 player server then I would say 24 would be good. That's 3 full fire teams per side(a squad is typically 2 of BC2 squads led by a sargent btw). So this would represent a (1/2)"plattoon level" engagement per side.

On the other hand, since the maps in BC2 are only 1/10th the size of a BF42 map then perhaps the 20-24 would be full but not overcrowed?
[JiF]Lt Gav
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Lt Gav »

I played on a full 32 player Rush server yesterday & it was almost impossible with so many players to defend the M-Coms. You could get in to set charges, but with so many to cut you down & de-arm. Most home spawn points are a distance from the attack point so attackers tend to get strung out whilst defenders are concentrated in 1 point. Oh & allied with the hackers that were on (one attacking chap had a score of about 70 - 5 & a defender was able to land a 40mm grenade on your head from a distance even when he could not see your position. This was on a pb server too!)
I feel less would be more in this instance.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

I had the same experience with a large (24? 32?) Rush map last night on a another server. The defenders just cut us down every time we tried to advance down the hill. Plus, they could keep up an almost continous mortar barrage. Granted, we weren't very coordinated. There seems to be a sweet spot in between too many (as described above) and too few (where the defenders lose if 1-2 squaddies are killed and the can't respawn in time to disarm) that is just right for Rush. Maybe 16-20?
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I played on a 32 player Rush server today that filled up quickly. There was so much going on I had a hard time focusing on how I could best contribute to my team. I'm happy to report my poor little laptop handled it like a champ as I didn't notice any game play difference from lower count servers. I really didn't like the feel of the chaos though and I couldn't even get close to the MCOM's without getting killed. We were able to blow the points, but only because we mass rushed em...I died so much. Perhaps if there was organization 32 would be fun, but the free-for-all I was on was just crazy lol!

I like the idea of 24, with 3 full squads on each team...that might work quite well.
ImageImage
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

[JiF]Lt Gav wrote:IOh & allied with the hackers that were on (one attacking chap had a score of about 70 - 5 & a defender was able to land a 40mm grenade on your head from a distance even when he could not see your position. This was on a pb server too!)
Remember that PB only catches people using known cheats, not the new ones. And the good cheats are produced faster than the cures.
[JiF]Riceman
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Riceman »

I remember playing my first rush map (after release) on a 32 player server and it was soooo intense. It was on the Arica Harbor map and the last two mcom stations were insane to capture. I ended up switching to smoke 40mm grenades just to get some sort of cover and it really did help.

I say keep it at 32 but unless we cant fill it up it's rather useless. It really all depends on the people you are playing with.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking
[JiF]Doc
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Doc »

32 players seems like to much to me. It would probably work great if you could cooridinate with the rest of the team but most of the time its just chaos. My cpu cant really handle more than 20-24 either but even when I played on grimps pc it seems like alot of spawn and die. I think 32 may work for conquest, but for rush I like to have a few moments to find a good hiding spot or plan my attack.