BC2 Patch impressions

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Server
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

BC2 Patch impressions

Post by [JiF]Mike »

I played for a little bit to see what the changes were. The server browser is MUCH faster than it use to be but they screwed up the favorites tab. I first had to remove all my old favorites to get the servers to show as active in the tab, then when I added a second server...the first server was replaced with this second one. I ended up with 2 servers listed that are exactly the same. Add a third server and all three servers appear to be the same as the most recently added one. I gave up on the favorites tab... The one saving grace is if you search all servers for [JiF] all three servers should pop up quickly.

I also noticed I had to hit the "enter" button a few times before I finally spawned...not sure what that is all about.

Your equipment selections now persist, a small thing but I found it really nice while I was testing the servers and constantly opening and closing the game.

They also didn't fix the server settings bug. For example when a server first starts it starts with the default settings which includes regular mode. Even though the config files are set to start the server in Hardcore....and the server info says it's running in hardcore...it's not. A simple map change makes all the changes...but come on.. this is such a stupid bug it should have been fixed long ago.

I wonder what other bugs/problems will come to light over the next day or so.
ImageImage
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Re: BC2 Patch impressions

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

Did it appear that they fixed the Punkbuster problems? Others can speak better than I on what they have seen but it does get old getting shot in the head with one shot over and over from the same person.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Ranked servers again require PB to be active which was not the case before... so hopefully we'll see less of that.
ImageImage
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Uncle Stinky »

Top, did you mean fixed on our JiF server?
Sir Die-a-lot
Forum User

Post by Sir Die-a-lot »

Too bad the patch didn't nerf Doc's overall abilities :?
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

I found a reason and solution to the spawn lag/hitting Join Battle mashing:

Free AVG processes are causing conflicts with the changes in the patch. With the free 9.0 version they no longer have an Exit option when you right click on it in the task bar!? I got rid of it and went with MS free one. I did this last night after I left the server for the evening and then joined a quick game after doing this and problem solved.

Some other things I did where to use the what's it's name Launcher program and re-do some of the settings I changed earlier back to what I had. The changes:

HBAO: off
Render ahead limit 10->2(default)
Changed all the details to medium.

If you want to stay with free AVG(if you have it) then on the BC2 forums they mention turning off 1 or 2 of the subprocesses but don't remember the ones but I think if you visit the forum you'll see the proposed solution there.
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

Interesting ... I use ESET not the one you mention. I'll have to look into it, thanks for the info.
ImageImage
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Aha, very interesting. I do use free AVG, and last night my screen went blank and I had to exit BC2 and restart. I noticed when I did that there was a notification pop-up from AVG about an update. They were likely linked. Thanks for the heads up, Gib.
[JiF]Top321us
Forum User

Post by [JiF]Top321us »

Uncle Stinky - Well I think so? LOL I am not sure if PB was running on our servers or not.
I was thinking not but just not sure. I have not been seeing the banned messages as I use to.
[JiF]Uncle Stinky
Forum User

Hey, I just noticed my kill/death ratio went up from 0.69 to 0.70, :viva:
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

[JiF]Top321us wrote:Uncle Stinky - Well I think so? LOL I am not sure if PB was running on our servers or not.
I was thinking not but just not sure. I have not been seeing the banned messages as I use to.

Punkbuster has always been enabled on our servers.
ImageImage
[JiF]Gib

Post by [JiF]Gib »

It does not seem like it is but that's probably the punks buying the pb proof ones.

Actually I thought it was running before because you'd see the left hand side server message saying name banned for aimbot or whatever.

I thought I've seen it turned off. Especially when I filtered for PB only servers and had nothing else in the filter except [JiF] and nothing came up(this is pre-patch). So either the filter isn't working or the server only thinks it's running pb. I'll try it tonight and see if I get the same results post patch but then again their patch has been an epic failure(buggy as hell).
[JiF]Mike
Site Admin

Post by [JiF]Mike »

The server filter had an issue with filtering for PB servers. I can say with 100% certainty that PB was indeed running on our servers, and still is. It's one of the reasons we saw very few public players pre-patch. There were so many ranked servers not running PB that the cheaters focused on them and drew the crowds. There was a good reason PB was disabled though...that has all changed now though. To be a ranked server now, PB must be enabled.
ImageImage